WORCESTER, Mass. — A 28-year-old New Hampshire man arrested for fatally stabbing a woman at a Worcester restaurant had violently attacked her in an April home invasion, police tell Boston 25 News.
Worcester Police were called to the O'Connor's Restaurant on Wednesday night after a woman was stabbed inside. The woman, only identified as a 31-year-old, was pronounced dead on Thursday morning.
A good Samaritan in the restaurant jumped in to help stop the attacker. Allen Corson was sitting at a nearby table with his fiancee and parents when he heard screaming.
"We were psyched, we had nachos coming, and from behind me as we were sitting here eating, I heard screaming," said Corson.
Corson got up, peered around the corner and saw what was unfolding.
"There was a woman bent over, and I see a man was on top of her was going like this with his hands," said Corson.
He wrestled the man to the ground, with help, and subdued the attacker.
"One of the gentlemen who was holding the guy down started asking what's your name, what's your name and the guy is just like - kill me, kill me. Now I'm sitting on top of him," said Corson.
During the struggle, Corson was stabbed in the back and taken to UMass Memorial Hospital. He was released on Thursday before he spoke with Boston 25 News.
The suspect, identified as 28-year-old Carlos Asencio of New Hampshire, was restrained by diners until police arrived. He is charged with murder, among other charges.
O'Connor's restaurant closed for the day following the incident. They sent Boston 25 News the following statement:
Police say Asencio and the woman had previously dated. They also tell Boston 25 News this is not the first time Asencio attacked her.
On April 21, police in Ayer were called to a home invasion on East Main Street. There, police say Asencio broke into the woman's home before 5 a.m. armed with a handgun and a stun gun. He allegedly attacked her with the stun gun before running off.
Days later, an arrest warrant was issued for Asencio by the Middlesex District Attorney, charging him with breaking and entering in the nighttime to commit a felony, armed home invasion, assault with intent to murder, armed masked robbery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault and battery on a household or family member.
The Middlesex DA said authorities contacted Border Patrol in Canada and were told Asencio crossed into Canada and allegedly boarded a flight to Mexico. Officials contacted the United States Marshal's Service and federal border patrol authorities to tell them about the warrant. Over the next few months, Asencio remained in Mexico, officials say.
Asencio was never arrested on the warrant for the alleged home invasion. The DA says his reentry into the country remains under investigation.
Ascencio is expected to be arraigned Friday on a number of charges, including murder, and charges stemming from the alleged April home invasion.