Rhode Island man indicted in Suffolk County on multiple counts, including rape, assault & kidnapping

Rhode Island man indicted in Suffolk County on multiple counts, including rape, assault & kidnapping
(Boston 25 News)

BOSTON — NOTE: The following contains graphic details of alleged sexual violence, including rape, which may be sensitive to some readers.

A Cumberland, R.I. man is facing the potential of life in prison after a grand jury returned numerous indictments against him that include rape, kidnapping and assault, among others. Alvin Campbell, 39, will face those charges, and more, at Suffolk Superior Court after a Suffolk County Grand Jury indicted him on Tuesday.

The charges Campbell will face are as follows:

Content Continues Below
  • Two counts of aggravated rape
  • Five counts of rape
  • Two counts of kidnapping
  • Two counts of indecent assault and battery
  • One count of assault with intent to rape
  • Eight counts of filming an unsuspecting person in the nude

Campbell will also be charged as a habitual offender due to prior convictions on both firearm offenses and “acts of violence,” according to a release from the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office. That indictment as a habitual offender expands the sentencing possibilities to life in prison for Campbell if he is found guilty.

The 39-year-old is the brother of Boston City Councilor Andrea Campbell. Boston 25 News reached out to her regarding the indictments but we were told she is no longer commenting on the case.

Alvin Campbell was previously indicted earlier in 2020 on allegations that he attacked a woman in 2019.

Tuesday’s charges stem from the alleged assaults of seven other women between 2017 and 2019, which Campbell was charged for in three separate Boston Municipal Courts. This week’s indictments elevated them all to Suffolk Superior Court.

The DA’s office alleges that Campbell posed as a rideshare driver in six of those seven assaults, while victims in two of the assaults claim they believed that Campbell was a bouncer in Boston. The alleged assaults occurred either in Campbell’s car or in the victims' apartments.

Campbell is also alleged to have filmed each of his victims while they were unconscious. He apparently filmed his rapes in five of the alleged assaults, the DA’s office said.

Both Assistant DA Elizabeth Riley-Cunniffe and Assistant DA Lynn Feigenbaum led the investigation into Campbell that led to the grand jury indictments.

The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office also published a series of resources for victims of sexual assault in their release on Campbell. They were written as such:

  • While the victims of any crime are asked to call 911 in an emergency, survivors of sexual violence can also call their local rape crisis center for free and confidential services and to discuss their options.
  • Support is available for all survivors of sexual violence, regardless of whether they wish to take part in a criminal prosecution. Services by city and town can be found at www.janedoe.org/find_help/search.
  • In Suffolk County, the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center [BARCC ] offers a free and confidential 24-hour hotline at 800-841-8371.
  • The Boston Area Rape Crisis Center provides medical accompaniment and many other free services to victims of rape and sexual assault.
  • Suffolk victim-witness advocates can assist in referrals to BARCC and a wide array of non-profit service providers who can offer additional support and services.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW