HOLYOKE, Mass. — News that criminal charges were filed in the Holyoke Soldiers' Home case is hitting families hard.
“This is all about accountability and justice,” said Eileen Driscoll.
Driscoll’s father, Al Healy, was a 91-year-old US Army veteran who had been living in the home.
Healy was one of the 76 veterans who died at the Holyoke Soldiers Home as the COVID-19 outbreak raged through the facility, like it did with many nursing homes and assisted living facilities across the country.
Healy passed away on April 10.
“The last time I saw my father was March 10th,” said Driscoll. “The day before he died, I saw him, but he was in a coma by that point. I hope he knew we were there, but to put someone through that, is totally irresponsible.”
Former Holyoke Soldier’s Home Superintendent Bennett Walsh and Medical Director Dr. David Clinton are facing charges for allegedly moving veterans directly into harm’s way as the COVID-19 virus first struck.
Eileen Driscoll tells me, even at 91, her father remained mentally sharp and told her what was going on in the weeks before he died.
She kept a detailed log of what her father told her.
“My father would still be here, enjoying life, if it hadn’t been for the negligence and abuse in the Soldier’s Home,” said Driscoll.
Download the free Boston 25 News app for up-to-the-minute push alerts