BOSTON - A Boston police officer was shot and wounded in Roxbury Friday and the suspect accused of shooting the officer is dead, Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said.
Boston Police Commissioner Gross said officers stopped a car at 102 Gerard St. around 2:21 a.m. and the suspect in the vehicle "exchanged several rounds of gunfire," with police, wounding one of the officers.
The car then fled the scene and was later found at 90 George St., Gross said at a news conference early Friday. The suspect, believed to be in his 30s, was found dead inside the car, Gross said, and a firearm was recovered. Several bullet holes were visible on the car's windshield.
Boston police spokesman Sgt. John Boyle said the officer was taken to Boston Medical Center with injuries that are not life-threatening. The officer, whose name has not been released, was shot in the upper torso, Gross said.
A large police presence was gathered at the scene on Gerard Street where police say the officer was shot during the traffic stop.
Officers were also at the scene on George Street, where the suspect was found dead. The suspect's vehicle was towed away from the scene around 6 a.m.
A woman who did not want to go on camera told us the driver appeared drunk or out of it.
Police have identified the driver of the vehicle as 36-year-old Kasim Kahrim of Boston.
Gross said the investigation is active and police are canvassing both neighborhoods for surveillance video and any witnesses. Anyone with information is asked to call 1-800-494-TIPS.
Gross said Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins' office would lead the investigation into whether officers were justified in their use of force on the suspect and that he had already been in contact with her office.
The officer is a 2 year member of the police force. He was shot in the upper torso. Investigators are searching for witnesses and surveillance video. I’m live with another update on @boston25 at 6! https://t.co/W8YjsZPpPr— Natalie Rubino (@newswithnatalie) February 22, 2019
DA Rollins issued the following statement on Friday afternoon regarding the shooting:
"Any loss of life is tragic and this morning’s events on Gerard Street are no exception. I want to express my relief that the injured officer is expected to survive. I hope for his full recovery, and my thoughts are with his family at home and his brothers and sisters in law enforcement. I also want to express my deep sadness and sympathies for the family and loved ones of the man whose life was lost. They, too, are undoubtedly in shock at circumstances beyond their control. I want to assure the people of Boston and Suffolk County that I will be conducting an independent investigation into this incident and it will be full, fair, thorough, and impartial. If anyone in the community has information on this incident they haven’t yet disclosed, they can feel safe bringing it to my attention. In these early stages, I have assigned First Assistant District Attorney Daniel Mulhern to handle this investigation and report directly to me. As my direct representative, ADA Mulhern responded to the scene last night and has updated me regularly throughout the early morning hours, as has Commissioner Gross. I spoke with the Commissioner immediately after the shooting and we have communicated several times since then. By statute, this investigation and all decisions stemming from it rest exclusively with me, the District Attorney, independent of any other agency or individual. I pledge to base any decision I make exclusively on the facts, the evidence, and the law, and again I offer my prayers and condolences to both families impacted by this shooting."
© 2019 Cox Media Group.