A wintry mix is falling on much of Massachusetts this morning and is likely to make for a rough morning commute and hazardous roads with coatings of slush and ice.
A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for most of the state and parts of New England
*Don't miss an update: Download our FREE Boston 25 apps for important alerts*
WATCH BOSTON 25 NEWS
Latest updates –
Important winter driving tips from MassDOT:
- Clear snow and ice from all windows and lights, even the hood and roof, before driving, (start with the tailpipe).
- Leave plenty of room for stopping.
- Remember that the posted speed limits are for dry pavement.
- Use brakes carefully. Brake early. Brake correctly. It takes more time and distance to stop in adverse conditions.
- Bridge decks freeze first. Due to the difference in the exposure to air, the surface condition can be worse on a bridge than on the approach road.
- Exit ramps are an even greater challenge during the winter since they may have received less anti-icing material than the main line.
- Leave room for maintenance vehicles and plows – stay back at least 200 feet and don’t pass on the right.
- Seat belts should be worn at all times – it’s the law.
- Most importantly please remember to slow down.
ADDITIONAL SNOW CONTENT:
© 2019 Cox Media Group.