• Man wanted for allegedly attacking mother has been captured in Vermont


    WALPOLE, Mass. - BREAKING UPDATE: Walpole Police say Ian Crowley has been captured in Vermont. 

    Police are still searching for a man in his 30s who is wanted in connection with an armed assault in Walpole on Wednesday night.

    Ian Crowley is being sought in connection with an assault and battery with a knife that took place in the 500 block of Common Street. He is believed to have a history of drug use and mental health issues, according to police.

    Police received several reported sightings overnight but have not yet located him. 

    Walpole Police Chief John Carmichael said extra security was in place Thursday at Walpole High School.

    "We're certain that he's out on foot, and we did have a pretty tight perimeter set up,"  Carmichael said as the search was launched. " A Police K9 had picked up a track for Crowley and the chief said he was hopeful additional K9 units could help lead them to him.

    Crowley's mother suffered non-life-threatening injuries when he stabbed her several times with either a knife or a meat cleaver inside a home, police said. 

    "It could be like a meat tenderizer, the stab is like a cut wounds from a blunt object," Carmichael said. "We didn’t recover it. What he had he took with him.

    The incident occurred around 7 p.m. Wednesday.

    Crowley, who was last seen wearing a dark Fila jumpsuit, ran away from the area, police said.

    Carmichael also said Crowley recently returned to Massachusetts after traveling the country, and said he likes the outdoors and is known to stay in a tent.

    There are several large, wooded areas that he could be hiding in, and police continued their search Thursday night with ATVs on the group and a State Police helicopter in the air.

    People are being advised to call 911 if they see Crowley and not to approach him. 

    People attending a school concert at Walpole High School Wednesday night were asked not to leave the school as police searched for Crowley. 

    Police also issued a reverse 911 call to residents, urging them to lock their doors and remain inside. People were seen coming and going from their homes Thursday morning as the search continued. T

    Officers said the victim was taken to the hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening.

    Standoff ends peacefully after man barricades himself inside Wareham home

    Next Up: