Worcester County

Two people hospitalized after CO leak in Mendon home, no working detectors, per fire officials

MENDON, Mass. — Two Mendon residents are lucky to be alive after crews found a carbon monoxide (CO) leak in their home early Tuesday morning.

The Mendon Fire Department says shortly after midnight, they responded to a home for an odor investigation when the residents inside reportedly felt sick. Arriving officers found two people displaying signs of “altered mental status,” according to authorities, and no signs of any alarms sounding in the home.

Using a gas meter, fire crews were alerted to extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in the home. They quickly evacuated the 2 victims, and transported them to Massachusetts General Hospital.

The victims were alert and talking upon arrival at MGH, according to firefighters.

Officials say that although this story had a happy ending, a few more minutes inside the house could have had a drastically different outcome for the residents inside.

“We strongly encourage all homeowners to test their smoke and CO alarms regularly and change batteries as per the manufacturer guidelines,” the Mendon Fire Department wrote in a social media post. “IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!”

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW