Family still searching for answers 5 years after man vanished without a trace

Family still searching for answers 5 years after man vanished without a trace

ATHOL, Mass. — Five years ago, a Massachusetts man vanished without a trace from Athol.

Scott Leger was last seen after an argument with his girlfriend on December 7, 2013. State Police scoured area woods, talked to witnesses, but they can't find Scott Leger.

"I want my brother back," said Heidi Antunes.

Content Continues Below

Heidi Antunes has spent the last five years trying to get her brother back.

Authorities say Leger walked out of the house after the argument in 2013 after his girlfriend called 911 on him, possibly by accident. Scott had an open warrant in a minor criminal case, but when police arrived, Scott was gone.

Five years later, Heidi and her family fear her brother could have been a victim of foul play.

"He didn't have a car. He didn't have a cellphone. He didn't have money. I think he had $40 cash, you're not getting far on a night that was 16 degrees. There's no way he would have just left," said Antunes.

New England's Unsolved was the only media in the woods with State Police during the 2014 search. They found nothing.

Antunes tells Boston 25 News reporter Bob Ward that it is out of character for Scott not to contact his family for five years. She still keeps her last message from her brother, sent just before she moved to Hawaii.

"Hi Heidi, it's your brother Scott. Just calling you to see how you were. I know you're leaving in a few days, so. Give me a call when you get the message, alright? I love you, Bye."

Ten weeks after Heidi moved to Hawaii with her husband, her brother vanished. Heidi moved back to Massachusetts to look for Scott and she is not giving up now.

"I have to find my brother. It's driving me crazy. It's driving all of us crazy," she said.

The disappearance of Scott Leger remains a dark mystery in central Massachusetts. If you have any information about what happened to Scott Leger, call Mass. State Police.