1. GENERAL: By participating in the “Scratch for Cash 2019” Promotion (“the Promotion”), sponsored by the Massachusetts State Lottery Commission (“the Lottery”), the entrant acknowledges and agrees to all Official Rules. The Promotion Period begins Friday, June 21, 2019 at 6:00 a.m. and ends on Friday, August 16, 2019 at 3:00 p.m. (“the Promotion Period”). There is one Promotion Period. All times in the Promotion refer to Eastern Time. By participating in the Promotion, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and by all decisions of the Executive Director of the Lottery, whose decisions are in his sole discretion and are binding and final. Failure to comply with the Official Rules will result in disqualification from the Promotion.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Promotion is open only to members of the Lottery’s Red Carpet VIP Club (“VIP Club”). All members of the VIP Club must be 18 years of age or older. An individual who turns 18 years of age during the Promotion Period shall only be eligible for the Promotion Period on and after the date that the member turns 18 years of age. Individuals that are not currently VIP Club members may become eligible by registering for a VIP Club account at www.masslotteryplayersclub.com. Employees of the Lottery, Cox Media Group Northeast, LLC d/b/a WFXT-TV (“Cox”), and family members of employees of the Lottery or Cox, including any spouse, child, brother, sister or parent residing as a member of the same household in the principal place of abode of any employee of the Lottery or Cox, and employees of the Lottery’s or Cox’s advertising agency, are not eligible to enter the Promotion or to win a prize as a result of the Promotion.
3. HOW TO ENTER: There is one (1) method of entry (“Entry”) for the Promotion, as follows: at any time during the Promotion Period, VIP Club members shall enter by clicking on the promotional link posted on the Lottery’s website or Facebook or Twitter pages. Access to the promotional page will also be available on the VIP Club and MA Lottery 2nd Chance app homepages. VIP Members will be directed to the VIP Club login page (if not logged in previously). They will log in using their VIP Club login email address and password. Once logged in, VIP members will be brought directly to the “Scratch for Cash” Promotion page (“the promotion page”), where they will be asked to check a box certifying that they are submitting an entry into the promotion. Entrants shall enter by submitting their information through the VIP Club during the Promotion Period. Only valid entries through the promotional page during the Promotion Period shall be eligible to win. LIMIT ONE ENTRY PER PERSON FOR THE PROMOTION.
The Lottery reserves the right to disqualify entries that, to a reasonable person: (a) are sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; (b) are obscene or offensive, or may create public disrepute, contempt, scandal or ridicule; (c) defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any third party's personal or intellectual property rights or contain disparaging remarks about other people or companies; (d) are inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which the Lottery wishes to associate (which may be determined by the Lottery, at its sole and absolute discretion); and/or (e) otherwise violate the terms of any of the agreements by which the entrant has agreed to abide as an entrant of the Promotion.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS: There shall be five (5) winners who shall be randomly selected by the Lottery from all eligible entries posted during the Promotion Period. The winners shall be selected using a computer generated algorithm to randomly select five identification numbers from all eligible entries and shall be assigned numbers 1 through 5. Ten (10) additional entries shall be chosen as alternates, and shall be assigned numbers 6 through 15. The five winners shall receive notification by telephone and email from the designated representative of the Lottery Marketing Department no later than 5:00 pm on Monday, August 19, 2019, that they have been chosen to win one of five prizes, and that they must respond to the Lottery no later than 5:00 pm on Tuesday, August 20. If any of the winners does not reply by 5:00 pm on Tuesday, August 20, alternate number 6 shall be notified by telephone and email that he/she has been chosen to win a prize, and that he/she must respond by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, August 21. If alternate number 6 does not contact the Lottery by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, August 21, alternates shall continue to be contacted in the same manner in ascending numerical order until five winners have contacted the Lottery. On Friday, August 23, the names of the five winners shall be announced on Boston 25 Morning News at the Lottery's Summer Quic Pic Sweepstakes 2019 event in Bellingham (location subject to change). In the event that the winners have not been confirmed by the Lottery as of air time on August 23, the names shall not be announced within the August 23 Boston 25 Morning News broadcast.
The winners shall appear in person on Friday, August 30th at the Lottery’s Summer Quic Pic Sweepstakes 2019 event (“the Event”) in Newburyport (location subject to change), where each winner will find out which of the five Instant Ticket prize packs he/she will win. If a winner is unable to attend the Event on Friday, August 30, he/she may designate a person to stand in his/her place by fully executing a Proxy Form that will be provided by the Lottery. The winners and/or proxies must present proper identification and proof of the winner’s Social Security number.
At the Event, a Promotional Board (“the Promotional Board”) will be displayed with five (5) envelopes numbered 1 through 5. In each of the five (5) envelopes, there will be one (1) of the following listed Instant Ticket prize packs:
• Fifty (50) $30 instant tickets ($1,500 value)
• One hundred (100) $20 instant tickets ($2,000 value)
• One hundred (100) $10 instant tickets ($1,000 value)
• One hundred fifty (150) $5 instant tickets ($750 value)
• Three hundred (300) $2 instant tickets ($600 value)
The specific Instant Ticket games to be included in the prize packs shall be determined by the Lottery prior to the Event.
Prior to Friday, August 30, five separate cards, each designating one of the five prizes listed above, shall be randomly placed by a member of the Lottery Compliance Department into five separate envelopes, which shall be labeled 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, respectively. The Lottery Compliance Department will maintain possession of the envelopes and deliver them to the Event on Friday, August 30, where they will be placed in numerical order on the Promotional Board.
Prior to Friday, August 30, five separate cards numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 shall be securely placed in sealed, unlabeled envelopes by a member of the Lottery Compliance Department, who will maintain possession of the envelopes and deliver them to the Event on Friday, August 30, where they will be placed in the Lottery’s drawing drum (“the drum”). Each winner, in the order in which they were selected in the Scratch for Cash Promotion, will select and remove one envelope from the drum.
Each winner will match his/her number selected from the drum to the same envelope number displayed on the Promotional Board. The winners will receive the prize contained within the numbered envelope that corresponds to the selected number from the drum. Prizes cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or substituted by the winner.
If any prize notification is undeliverable, or in the event of non-compliance with any of the Promotion rules, the prize shall be forfeited. The Lottery reserves the right to select an alternative winner. It shall be the sole responsibility of each entrant to notify the Lottery if his or her contact information changes. The Lottery shall not be responsible for false, incorrect, changed, incomplete or illegible contact information. Each entrant may win only one prize during the Entry Period.
5. PRIZES: Five (5) prizes shall be available to be awarded for the Promotion. There shall be no substitutions. Transfer of the prize is prohibited. Fifty (50) $30 instant tickets ($1,500 value), one hundred (100) $20 instant tickets ($2,000 value), one hundred (100) $10 instant tickets ($1,000 value), one hundred fifty (150) $5 instant tickets ($750 value), and three hundred (300) $2 instant tickets ($600 value) shall be awarded at the Event. All winners shall provide age verification, a valid picture ID and proof of Social Security number.
All applicable federal, state and local taxes, and expenses, costs or fees associated with the acceptance and/or use of the prize shall be the sole responsibility of the winners. The fifty (50) $30 instant tickets ($1,500 value), one hundred (100) $20 instant tickets ($2,000 value), one hundred (100) $10 instant tickets ($1,000 value), one hundred fifty (150) $5 instant tickets ($750 value), and three hundred (300) $2 instant tickets ($600 value) shall be provided by Cox, which, through its designated accounting system, shall submit the appropriate tax forms to the appropriate agencies and to the winner.
6. PUBLICITY RELEASE: By entering the Promotion, the winner agrees that the sponsor, Cox, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers and each such company’s officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, and successors and assigns have the absolute right and permission to broadcast, publish, or otherwise use the winner’s name, biographical information, and likeness in connection with the Promotion or for any commercial, publicity, or promotional purpose without limitation, review or approval, or compensation to winner and winner’s parent/legal guardian.
7. RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: By entering the Promotion, each entrant agrees on behalf of itself and each of entrant’s heirs, executors, and administrators (a) to release and hold harmless the Lottery, Cox, their respective constitutional office, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents and employees, representatives, and successors and assigns (collectively the “Released Parties”) from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from such entrant’s participation in the Promotion and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, misuse or quality of prize or any portion thereof (including any travel related thereto); (b) that Released Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee express or implied, in fact or in law, with respect to any prize, including, without limitation, to such prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose; and (c) to be bound by these Official Rules and to waive any right to claim any ambiguity or error therein or in the Promotion itself, and to be bound by all decisions of the Lottery, which are binding and final. Failure to comply with these conditions may result in disqualification from the Promotion at the Lottery’s sole discretion.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS: If the Promotion is not capable of running, as planned, for any reason, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, and unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Lottery which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity of the game or Promotion, the Lottery reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it believes has tampered with the Promotion process, and/or cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion, without any consequence whatsoever to any VIP Club member. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Treasurer and Receiver General, the Lottery, Cox, and their Commissioners, directors, agents and employees of any of the foregoing (i) assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, incorrect information, printing and production errors, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alternation of, entries, (ii) are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of the Red Carpet VIP Club, any mobile networks, any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or provider, computer equipment, software, failure of any email to be received by the Lottery on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to the entrant or any other person's mobile phone or device related to or resulting from participation in the Promotion.
9. DISPUTES/CHOICE OF LAW: Except where prohibited, each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Promotion or any prize awarded shall be brought and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state or federal court situated in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (3) no punitive, incidental, special, consequential or other damages, including without limitation lost profits may be awarded (collectively, "Special Damages"), and (4) entrant hereby waives all rights to claim Special Damages and all rights to have such damages multiplied or increased. Massachusetts law, without reference to Massachusetts' choice of law rules, governs the Promotion and all aspects related thereto.
10. WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT/OFFICIAL RULES: For the names of the winners, available after the conclusion of the Promotion, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Massachusetts State Lottery, "Scratch for Cash 2019" Promotion, 150 Mount Vernon Street, Suite 300, Dorchester, MA 02125. For a copy of the Official Rules, please go to the Lottery's website or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Massachusetts State Lottery, "Scratch for Cash 2019" Promotion, 150 Mount Vernon Street, Suite 300, Dorchester, MA 02125. Please indicate that you are requesting a copy of the Official Rules.
11. ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of becoming a winner of the Promotion are wholly dependent on the total number of eligible entries received. There shall be up to five (5) winners.
13. SPONSOR: The Massachusetts State Lottery Commission, 150 Mount Vernon Street, Suite 300, Dorchester, MA 02125.
© 2019 Cox Media Group