• Police investigating after 6 people shot overnight in Roxbury

    Updated:

    BOSTON - Six people are recovering after being shot in Roxbury just after 11 p.m. Friday night.

    Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said they first got the call at 11:13 p.m. for a shooting on Maple Street. When officers arrived they found six people with gunshot wounds.

    According to police, the victims -- three men and three women in their late 20s to early 30s -- had been at a gathering. They were all inside a car at the time of the shooting. 

    The victims were rushed to the hospital and are expected to survive. 

    With no arrests made, Commissioner Gross is asking for the public's help in finding the suspect. 

    He said the shooting happened in a nice neighborhood where the community should feel safe. The suspect needs to be held accountable, he added.

    “Whoever did this, forget the bracelets, forget the stay away orders and lock them up," Commissioner Gross said. "The DA, myself and the mayor are committed to repeat violent offenders and violent offenders that can’t be rehabilitated on this side, they have to go to jail. And we are working together on this definitely.”

    RELATED: 8-year-old girl, man shot and wounded in Dorchester park during Fourth celebrations

    Mayor Marty Walsh issued a statement regarding the most recent shooting in the Boston area:

    I share in the outrage and hurt that I know our community is feeling today. These incidents are completely unacceptable and are deeply traumatic for our city. Our collective work will not be finished until the number of people injured and families mourning the loss of a loved one is zero. The safety of our residents will always be our top priority and we as a city are committed to helping them heal through these tough times.

    Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins also offered her thoughts on the Roxbury shooting, which came one day after an 8-year-old girl and a 35-year-old man were shot in a Boston park while watching fireworks. 

    "Please hear me say you will be held accountable for this," DA Rollins said. "This community deserves to be able to walk outside and enjoy the Fourth of July just like other communities are able to do."

    Next Up: