Thousands of residents across the Merrimack Valley have been ordered to evacuate their homes after dozens of fires were triggered by gas explosions in Lawrence, North Andover, and Andover.
The following centers have been opened for those affected by the fires and explosions:
- Parthum Elementary School- 255 East Haverhill St in Lawrence, Mass.
- St. Mary's Church Hampshire and Central Catholic High School in 300 Hampshire Street
- Field House at North Andover High School- 430 Osgood St. in N. Andover, Mass.
- North Andover High School- 430 Osgood St, North Andover, Mass.
- Andover Cormier Youth Center- 40 Whittier Ct. in Andover, Mass.
- Arlington Street School- 150 Arlington St. in Lawrence, Mass.
- MSPCA Nevins Farm- 400 Broadway in Methuen, Mass. (For those with animals needing care)
- MSPCA Angell Medical Center- 350 S. Huntington Ave. in Jamaica Plain (For those with animals needing care)
The Salem Waterfront Hotel has also opened its doors to those whose homes have been affected.
Planet Fitness is also welcoming anyone impacted by the gas explosions or power outages to use any of its 85 Massachusetts and New Hampshire facilities, free of charge.
Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover have all canceled school for Friday, Sept. 14. All school-related activities for Lawrence are canceled for Saturday, Sept. 15.
Governor Baker closed state offices in Andover, Lawrence and North Andover for Friday, Sept. 14, and said any non-emergency executive branch employees who live in those communities should not report to work unless notified.
© 2020 Cox Media Group