News

Man arrested three days after fleeing from fatal crash in New Bedford

A man was arrested three days after fleeing from the scene of a fatal crash following a police chase from Fairfield to New Bedford, according to Massachusetts State Police.

Police said 21-year-old James Bennett-Werra had been sought since March 27 after the car in which he was allegedly fleeing crashed into another vehicle in New Bedford, leading to the death of a woman in the car and serious injuries to another occupant.

>>MORE: 1 dead, 1 in critical condition after police chase leads to crash in New Bedford

Police said Bennett-Werra was already a fugitive at the time of the crash, and said he allegedly cut off his court-ordered electronic monitoring device two days before allegedly causing the fatal crash.

After the crash, police worked to find Bennett-Werra, and eventually gathered information that led them to an address at Rhode Island, where he was found Saturday at 5 p.m. at a home in Pawtucket.

Bennett-Werra was taken into custody without incident, and booked at the Pawtucket Police Department as a fugitive from justice.

Police said he had been paroled to a family member's home and ordered to wear a monitoring bracelet after serving his time, and it is believed he cut off the bracelet on March 25.

Charges were issued out of the New Bedford District Court Thursday, including manslaughter, motor vehicle homicide by reckless operation, assault with a dangerous weapon, leaving the scene of personal injury, leaving the scene death resulting and reckless operation of a motor vehicle.

Bennett-Werra will be held pending rendition to Massachusetts, and police said he was previously convicted of assault and battery on a family or household member and carrying a dangeorus weapon.

0