Woman injured in attempted murder-suicide in Salem doing ‘miraculously well’

SALEM, Mass. — A woman shot in an apparent attempted murder-suicide in Salem is doing ‘miraculously well’ days following the shooting, her company told Boston 25 News.

That woman, identified by family as 33-year-old Lindsay Smith, was shot in the head as she left her job at Doyle’s Sailmakers in Salem at 5 p.m. Monday, November 15. Authorities say the gunman, identified as 55-year-old Richard Lorman, turned the gun on himself and took his own life. Smith and Lorman lived together in a condo in Hampton, N.H., court records show.

>>>PREVIOUS: 1 dead, 1 hospitalized in attempted murder-suicide in Salem

“Lindsay is doing miraculously well and all her vital signs are good,” said Robby Doyle of Doyle’s Sailmakers.

“In summary, her prognosis is quite good. The recovery will be lengthy with no timeline. There are likely to be good and bad days, but so far everything is improving daily.”

Doyle went on to mention that Smith’s family was especially thankful for the medical staffs that have helped treat Lindsay, including first responders and teams at Salem Hospital and Beth Israel Hospital in Boston.

“She is still in ICU,” Smith’s family previously said of Lindsay on Wednesday. “She has an excellent team of doctors working around the clock.”

>>>RELATED: N.H. judicial branch conducting internal review after attempted murder-suicide in Salem, MA

On September 21, Smith applied for a restraining order against Lorman. She claimed in a statement that Lorman had sexually and physically abused her. She wrote in her statement that Lorman tracked her on her cellphone to Marblehead, Mass. where he verbally abused her at the Marblehead Lighthouse. Smith claimed he yelled at her, “I’m going to turn your world upside down!”

The statement also accuses Lorman of harassing Smith’s family as it reads, “his behavior seems to be escalating…[the victim] and therapist….very concerned that he will resort to violence in this mindset where he has lost control.”

N.H. Circuit Court Judge Polly Hall granted a 30-day restraining order to Smith on September 21, 2021. The file reveals on October 20, 2021, Judge Hall dismissed the case against Lorman, finding, “The Court cannot find that the defendant’s conduct constitutes a credible present threat to plaintiff’s safety.”

The file does not shed any light on what changed Judge Hall’s mind.

“Our whole family is wondering as well,” Smith’s family wrote Wednesday. “We [are] just devastated! [...] The judge spent five minutes and shut Lindsay down when she wanted to give a package of evidence.”

PREVIOUS: DA identifies man found dead in attempted murder-suicide in Salem

On Wednesday, New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu released a statement on the attempted murder-suicide:

“What happened to Ms. Smith is an absolute tragedy and my thoughts and prayers are with her and her family. As soon as this was brought to our attention I immediately contacted the judicial branch and confirmed this matter is being reviewed to the fullest extent possible.”

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW