‘Devastating’: Emotional vigil in Duxbury addresses mental health following deaths of children

DUXBURY, Mass. — An emotional candlelight vigil in Duxbury addressed mental health two days after a tragedy that claimed the lives of two children and critically injured an infant.

Lindsay Clancy, the 32-year-old mother of the children, remains under police custody at a Boston Hospital in serious condition after a reported suicide attempt.

Hundreds attended Thursday night’s vigil at the Holy Family Church in Duxbury with so many unanswered questioning remaining.

Boston 25 News observed family members, Mass General Hospital nurses and a large presence of first responders in attendance.

“Before this tragic event, they were a happy, loving couple and family. Sadly, the struggle Lindsay had trying to deal with her mental illness became overwhelming, which led to such devastating results,” said Rev. Robert J. Deehan.

A family friend told Boston 25 News that Lindsay Clancy has been dealing with postpartum struggles, particularly an illness called postpartum psychosis.

That friend said she had been regularly receiving treatment.

The Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office has not confirmed that Clancy had been dealing with mental health issues.

“My wife is nine months pregnant. We’re expecting our first,” said Harry Irving, who attended the vigil. “I think the hardest thing for us is knowing how devastating postpartum depression can be.”

Clancy is facing two counts of murder, three counts of strangulation, and three counts of assault and battery with a deadly weapon.

Her 5-year-old daughter, Cora Clancy, and 3-year-old son, Dawson Clancy, were pronounced dead inside the family’s home.

The baby boy, who just turned 8 months old, remained in critical condition at Boston Children’s Hospital on Thursday night.

“I hope the family knows, we’re all behind them,” said Diane Monaghan, who attended the vigil. “You don’t expect anything like this.”

The range of emotions that first responders are now dealing with was also part of the ongoing difficult conversation at the vigil.

“For us, it’s unimaginable. For those first responders, they witnessed it, and they have to live with it for the rest of their lives,” said Debbie Heath, mother of a Duxbury firefighter.

Heath’s 25-year-old son was one of the first to respond to the Clancy home after the children’s father called 911.

“I hope he never sees anything like this again. I hope this is the worst call he’ll ever be on,” said Heath. “You can’t get those visions out of your head.”

Heath said her son has had several breakdowns over the last few days and is still processing what he witnessed inside the home on Summer Street.

A gofundme was created for the family.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW