Convicted sex offender accused of kidnapping, raping another victim

Convicted sex offender accused of kidnapping, raping another victim

BOSTON — Boston Police have arrested a Level 3 sex offender for kidnapping and raping another victim in the city.

Officials were called to assist Boston EMS with an assault victim in the area of Blue Hill Ave and Wales Street in Dorchester on Wednesday at around 1:30 p.m.

At the scene, officers spoke to the victim, who was taken to a local hospital for treatment. An extensive investigation by the BPD Sexual Assault Unit led to the identification of a suspect, 39-year-old Shawn McClinton.

Content Continues Below

McClinton was arraigned in Dorchester District Court on Thursday on charges of aggravated rape, armed kidnapping with sexual assault, strangulation and assault by means of a dangerous weapon.

A search through the state’s sex offender registry board (SORB) shows McClinton was previously convicted of raping and abusing a child in June 1994 and of another rape in July 2007. McClinton is also listed as being homeless.

According to the Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins, McClinton had recently been released on bail in a violent 2018 rape, only to re-offend and be arraigned on new sexual assault charges.

The Suffolk County ADA requested on McClinton being held on $250,000 bail and that his bail be revoked in the 2018 sexual assault case, which remains pending in Suffolk Superior Court. The judge imposed a $500,000 bail and revoked his open bail.

Prosecutors say McClinton met his victim on Tuesday evening and the two traveled together from Quincy to a location in Dorchester. When the victim tried to leave on Wednesday morning, McClinton is alleged to have raped her at knife point.

The victim suffered some injuries in the struggle, but was able to flee. A passerby noticed she had been injured and called 911.

“This individual has violently and sexually assaulted women and children in the past. His release on July 15th allowed him the opportunity to sexually assault and harm again. And unfortunately, he did. I’m grateful to Boston Police sexual assault detectives and my prosecutors and advocates for providing compassionate support to the survivor of McClinton’s most recent sexual assault, and for their work helping hold the alleged attacker accountable for these reprehensible acts,” Rollins said.

McClinton had been held on $15,000 bail since his arrest February 19, 2018, on charges of kidnapping and two counts each of aggravated rape and assault and battery. He was released on July 15, 2020, when $15,000 was posted by the Massachusetts Bail Fund.

“According to its website, the Massachusetts Bail Fund’s stated mission is to ‘Free Them All’ and provide bails of up to $2,000 in Essex, Suffolk and Worcester counties,” Rollins said. “These bails are often posted for low-level, misdemeanor offenses which end up punishing poor people and not serving any legal or public safety purpose. However, aggravated rape, kidnapping for the purpose of sexual assault, strangulation and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon are not low-level misdemeanors. They are violent felonies. And the person they bailed out is a sexual predator that hurts and rapes women and children. The Bail Fund posted $15,000 and set McClinton loose on our community. They don’t care that he is a Level 3 sex offender. They don’t care that he has raped women and children before. They have no responsibility to or compassion for the victims and survivors of his crimes, or the families that he has destroyed. I do. And my office will do the hard work of getting his latest victim all of the treatment and services she needs. We will be with her throughout the entire legal process and beyond.”

McClinton is due back in court on Sept. 4.


This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.


Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for alerts on breaking news stories like this one.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter.