Braintree police officer released from hospital following shooting

BRAINTREE, Mass. — Both Braintree Police officers who were shot last Friday are home from the hospital. The second officer, William Cushing, was escorted along with the other officer, Matthew Donoghue, who was injured, through Braintree.

The community came out in huge numbers lining the streets all the way from South Shore Hospital in Weymouth up into Braintree and outside the Town Hall.

Officer William Cushing could be seen waving still wearing his hospital ID as residents cheered him on.

“It was honestly heartwarming seeing him drive by waving, smiling. Seeing so many people here is like it gives me chills in a good way,” one woman said. “It brought tears to my eyes when they all went by because it is just so nice.”

One week ago Officer Cushing and Officer Donoghue, who was released from the hospital earlier this week, were shot multiple times. Officer Cushing’s police K-9 Kitt was shot and killed.

The community lined the streets to show its thanks to all of Braintree PD. The escort had a line of vehicles from police departments all across the area.

“I have known him since he was very little. He went to school with my son,” a resident said.

Officer Cushing’s former baseball and hockey coach Jim Troop came down to watch.

“I just want to be here to see him come home,” Troop said.

Boston 25 News was able to capture video as Officer Cushing arrived at home and was greeted with hugs from his fellow officers.

Officer Cushing was shot multiple times in the left arm and still has more procedures to undergo. Officer Donoghue was hit in the shoulder. Braintree Police Chief Mark Dubois and Deputy Chief Tim Cohoon gave media an update on the case after the homecoming, saying the help Officer Richard Seibert provided was critical because of his prior experience as a combat medic in the U.S. Army.

“Officer Seibert was able to immediately render aid to his fellow officers in the form trauma first aid and tourniquets,” Deputy Chief Cohoon said.

“The tourniquets were applied on scene, which make a dramatic difference,” Chief Dubois said.

Mayor Charles Kokoros said his community knows their outcome could have been much worse.

“Just a week ago all this chaos broke out,” Mayor Kokoros said.

The mayor said he is proud his town came out to show their support.

“It’s a positive day that our second wounded officer has come home today, and on behalf of the Town of Braintree, welcome home Billy,” Mayor Kokoros said.

The town is also planning a funeral event for police K-9 Kitt. They want to wait about a week or so for Officer Cushing to get back on his feet, so it will likely be at the end of the month.

PREVIOUS: 2 Braintree officers shot, K-9 dies, suspect killed in shooting

Andrew Homen, 34, of Brockton, was killed after he opened fire on the officers, the Norfolk County District Attorney said.

This occurred after the Braintree Police Department received 9-1-1 calls at 12:45 p.m. that Friday for a domestic dispute and that the suspect fled into the woods.

Homen was armed with two guns, and once the police K-9 unit arrived, they went into the woods to find him, police said.

“We made it about 100 yards into the woods where they were essentially ambushed,” Chief Dubois said.

The chief said it was like a shootout and Norfolk County District Attorney Michael Morrissey said all three Braintree officers, including the K-9, were hit.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NO