Boston father accused of grazing 7-year-old daughter’s head with bullet

BOSTON — A local father accused of firing a gun and grazing his 7-year-old daughter appeared in court on Friday.

Jesse Fuller walked into court charged after police said he fired a gun Thursday afternoon, injuring a 7-year-old girl.

In court we learned the girl is the suspect’s daughter. Suffolk County Assistant District Attorney Amanda Cascione told the court some of the incident was captured on surveillance video from a barber shop.

“The defendant who is the victim’s father walking on talbot avenue with his hands in the front area of a red sweatshirt and officers do observe what appears to be a firearm being discharged,” said Cascione.

The Suffolk County DA told us at the scene on Thursday the 7-year-old was grazed by a bullet fragment.

Boston Police were notified by their ShotSpotter notification of the shooting near 320 Talbot Ave. shortly after 4 p.m. Thursday.

“This happened in the middle of the day in a school day, and a 7-year-old child is now traumatized and the victim of gun violence,” said Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins. “Thank God it is a graze, but centimeters from there we could’ve been at a very different crime scene.”

In court, the prosecutor told the judge they believe the bullet hit something else first.

>>>MORE: Marine stabbed while trying to help a woman being attacked

Witness Alicia St. Louis said she saw the crime unfold. The victim, she said, was returning home from school when she was grazed on the sidewalk.

Jessica Edwards is representing Fuller.

“The belief is that either some sort of shell casing or bullet particle ricocheted and hit the child in the head,” said Edwards.

Edwards told us her client would never hurt his child and that the gun went off by accident.

Fuller is facing multiple charges including carrying a firearm without a license. He was held until next week for a dangerousness hearing.

“He was very, very remorseful for the situation. He actually talked to police openly about it. His daughter is doing very well. She is running around very happy, not injured, not treated,” Edwards said.

Prosecutors and the suspect also disagree on the child’s injury.

“Ultimately police learned the mother had removed a piece of metal form the child’s head,” said Cascione.

“There was what they called a laceration, a small scratch on the side of her head, any child could have that from playing,” said Edwards.

Fuller has another active case in Dorchester involving an attack on his wife.

In the report we pulled, it says the wife did not want Fuller arrested.

In the recent shooting case, the wife again told police she did not want him charged.

“She wants her husband home with her daughter. His daughter wants to see her father and she is very distraught by the whole case,” Edwards said.

Prosecutors say Fuller also has a home invasion case out of Worcester.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW