Apple Store crash suspect says he was looking for an eyeglass store when foot got stuck on gas pedal

HINGHAM, Mass. — The suspect charged in a deadly crash at an Apple Store at the Derby Street Shops in Hingham on Monday told police that he was driving around the shopping plaza in search of an eyeglass store when his foot got stuck on the accelerator, causing his SUV to jump the curb at a high rate of speed and smash through a glass facade, striking a number of workers and customers before coming to a rest in the back corner of the business, court documents indicated.

Emergency crews responding to a report of a vehicle into a building at 94 Derby Street found a gaping hole in the glass storefront, a black 2019 Toyota 4Runner lodged up against the wall, and multiple people suffering from various injuries, according to Plymouth District Attorney Timothy Cruz.

Kevin Bradley, a 65-year-old construction worker from New Jersey, was in the path of 53-year-old Bradley Rein’s SUV. He died as a result of injuries suffered in the crash. Nineteen other people, many of whom suffered life-threatening injuries, were rushed to area hospitals.

Witnesses told investigators that they heard the engine of Rein’s SUV roar loudly before it barreled into the store at a left angle at about 60 mph. The SUV came to a rest against a back wall, pinning several victims and leaving behind a trail of obliterated display cases and carnage, according to the documents.

Bradley was found suffering from traumatic injuries that resulted in significant blood loss, the documents stated. Bradley’s coworker is said to have told police that the impact of the crash “sounded like an explosion” and that Bradley was “clearly deceased on the floor.”

According to Apple, Bradley was a “professional who was onsite supporting recent construction at the store.”

A review of surveillance video from nearby stores reportedly confirmed witness accounts of the crash, prompting police to detain Rein for questioning.

While speaking with state and local investigators, Rein allegedly stated that he had eaten breakfast and was applying for jobs before he left his home to go to Warby Parker to get a lens replaced in his eyeglasses, the documents showed. Employees of Warby Parker were unable to assist him, so he left and set off for Lunette Optic.

Rein claimed he was driving in the area of Barnes and Noble when his right foot became stuck on the accelerator. Rein added that he was unable to stop his vehicle and it continued across the parking lot and through the Apple Store.

In the documents, police wrote, “Rein stated everything happened fast. Rein stated his foot had got stuck on the accelerator once in the past while he was driving on the highway. Rein stated that he had no medical issues that would impair his ability to operate a motor vehicle. Rein stated he had been servicing his vehicle regularly and it had no mechanical issues.”

Troopers then gave Rein a breath test that resulted in a reading of 0.00 percent. He also consented to the collection of blood and urine samples at the hospital for additional alcohol testing, according to police.

Rein was arrested Monday night on charges of reckless homicide by a motor vehicle and reckless operation of a motor vehicle. He was arraigned Tuesday and ordered held on $100,000.

All of the facts and circumstances surrounding the crash remain under investigation.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW