5 people hospitalized, crews find generator running inside Brockton house

BROCKTON, Mass. — Boston 25 News has confirmed with the Brockton Fire Department that there was a generator running inside the first floor of 57 Menlo Street. Five people were taken to the hospital showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to Brockton Fire, they got a call around 10:45 p.m. Thursday from a child calling for medical help. When firefighters got to this home on Menlo Street, they found a woman in and out of consciousness. They also found a generator on the first floor. They measured the carbon monoxide levels in the house and found it was over 1,000 parts per million. Levels that high can be fatal depending on how long someone is exposed to it.

PREVIOUS: Generator safety tips: How to safely use a generator during power outage

Brockton Fire told Boston 25 News three adults and two kids were taken to the hospital showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. They were conscious when they were transported. As of Friday morning, there were no updates on their condition.

Several fire departments in the area have been responding to generator-related calls following the nor’easter. It’s important to know that you should never have a generator inside. You should always have it outside and at least ten feet away from your home.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW