Fire rips through Essex Seafood, officials determine cause

Fire rips through Essex Seafood, officials determine cause
A fire burned late Sunday night at the Essex restaurant, but thankfully no one was reported hurt.

ESSEX, Mass. — A fire that destroyed Essex Seafood on Sunday night was caused by a gas heater, according to a release by the State Fire Marshal on Monday.

The fire was reported just before 11 p.m. at 143 Eastern Avenue in Essex, according to the release. No one was injured but the building was damaged extensively, estimated at $250,000.

According to officials, the fire started over a counter area where a 15- to 20-year-old gas heater was mounted to the ceiling. It had been left running overnight after the restaurant closed.

Content Continues Below
A fire burned late Sunday night at the Essex restaurant, but thankfully no one was reported hurt.
A fire burned late Sunday night at the Essex restaurant, but thankfully no one was reported hurt.