• David Ortiz shot in Dominican Republic, reportedly stable, per multiple reports

    Updated:

    Red Sox legend David Ortiz has been reportedly shot in the Dominican Republic, according to multiple reports. 

    Latest: David Ortiz out of surgery after being shot in Dominican Republic

    ESPN baseball reporter Marly Rivera is reporting that, according to David Ortiz’s father Leo, Ortiz was shot and wounded at an amusement center in Santo Domingo in his native Dominican Republic.

    Ortiz, known affectionately by fans as "Big Papi," reportedly suffered a gunshot wound to the back. ESPN is reporting that Ortiz was taken to a medical center. His condition was unknown.

    "At the moment, everything is confusing. I'm trying to find out where they took my son," Ortiz's father told ESPN.

    Dominican TV station CDN 37 reported that Ortiz was shot in the back after initially reporting he had been wounded in the leg, according to the Associated Press.

    Related: Police: David Ortiz shot in ambush at Santo Domingo bar

    Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte told the Associated Press that the gunman shot Ortiz at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo around 8:50 p.m. Sunday night.

    That gunman was captured, Bautista told the AP, and beaten by the bar's patrons. Investigators are determining whether or not Ortiz was the intended target, Bautista told the AP.

    Felix Duran Mejia, a spokesman for the Dominican National Police, reportedly told CNN that Ortiz was shot by a motorcyclist who approached Ortiz directly. 

    "The bullet when through his stomach," Mejia reportedly told CNN, adding that Ortiz's condition is "confidential."

    Rivera, of ESPN, tweeted out that Ortiz is out of danger, according to doctors. She also reports that Ortiz was in surgery as of 11:37 p.m. on Sunday night. 

    Rivera also cited an alleged journalist in the Dominican Republic, who tweeted out that Ortiz is stable and in surgery. 

    Rivera later tweeted just after 12:30 a.m. on Monday that Ortiz was stable and recovering out of surgery. 

    ESPN is reporting that that same journalist - Dionisio Soldevila - told ESPN that Ortiz allegedly told doctors, "Please don't let me die. I'm a good man." 

    Soldevila tweeted out just after 12:30 a.m. on Monday that Ortiz's father told him that the former Major Leaguer is resting, no organs were affected and that he is hoping for a full recovery.

    The 43-year-old Ortiz was born in Santo Domingo. He spent 14 years with the Red Sox, winning three World Series with Boston and making 10 All-Star teams.

    Ortiz, who played in the MLB for 20 seasons, was named World Series MVP in 2013, when he helped the Red Sox knock off the St. Louis Cardinals 4-2.

    Ortiz, a beloved baseball player, is also known for the words of strength he gave to the City of Boston in the days following the Boston Marathon bombings in 2013.

    ESPN tweeted out a series of posts from players in Major League Baseball who expressed their well-wishes for Ortiz.

    Boston 25 News has reached out to the Boston Red Sox and is awaiting a reply.

    This story is developing and will be updated as more information becomes available.

    Next Up: