'We are going to rebuild better': Beloved family bagel shop destroyed in fire

REVERE, Mass. — A Revere bagel shop was destroyed by heavy fire overnight as crews from several towns were called in to help knock down the flames.

Heavy smoke and fire were seen pouring from the Bagel Bin Deli after firefighters were called around 11:30 p.m. Monday, officials said.

The Vlladesis came to America from Albania and started the Bagel Bin. Last month, the Revere restaurant celebrated 20 years in business.

"I was shocked when they called me to say you know this happened. I couldn’t believe it," said owner George Vlladesi.

Deputy Fire Chief Tom Todisco said initially, crews couldn't get into the building because of security gates in both the front and back of the restaurant that they then had to cut through to get at the fire.

The blaze ripped through the building and compromised the roof, as the fire was raised to four-alarms just before 2 a.m Tuesday.

Some regular customers, like Matthew Martelli, stopped by to see the damage to the restaurant. "You're going to be surprised how many people are going to drive by and just find out that this is gone and they're going to be brokenhearted," he said.

Todisco said no one was injured, but firefighters had to contend with high humidity and heat.

The heavy fire was contained by about 4 a.m, but firefighters are still putting out hot spots. Officials said the building is a total loss.

"We are going to rebuild better and higher," said Vlladesi.