AUBURN, Mass. — Firefighters went above and beyond the call of duty for a few senior citizens in need on Monday night.
The Auburn Fire Department say crews responded to the home of an elderly couple around midnight for a report of a medical emergency. Firefighters noticed the house had no working smoke detectors and set out to help.
“Adults over 65 are at a disproportionate risk of dying in a fire at home,” the Auburn Fire Department wrote in a social media post.
Fire officials went back to the home on Tuesday afternoon and installed two brand new combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for the couple.
Any seniors who need help testing, maintaining, or replacing smoke alarms can contact the Auburn Fire Department at 508-832-7800.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
©2022 Cox Media Group