Charges dropped against man accused of sexually assaulting woman on ferry

FALMOUTH, Mass. — EDITORS NOTE: The Barnstable County District Attorney’s Office said Wednesday that after consulting with the alleged victim and her family, the state decided to drop the charges against the suspect.

A Dorchester man is now facing charges for allegedly sexually assaulting an 18-year-old woman on a ferry from Martha’s Vineyard to Woods Hole.

The MA State Police told Boston 25 that shortly before 5 p.m. Monday, MSP patrols and Falmouth Police responded to reports of a sexual assault that occurred on a Steamship Authority ferry that later docked at Woods Hole.

The suspect, Bruno Sanches DeJesus, 20, of Dorchester, left the dock after the alleged incident as a passenger in a commercial box truck. Police said DeJesus met the victim in the passenger area of the ferry, and the both of them walked down to the parking area, where his delivery truck was.

“At that time, the defendant, before you took her to the rear of the box truck,” said Brian Degan, the assistant district attorney. “She alleges she was pushed against the wall and the defendant started grabbing and kissing her. She indicates she attempted to pull away.”

The victim told police she was pushed to the ground and raped twice. She also gave police a description of the suspect and his delivery truck, so Mass State Police were quick to track him down in Falmouth after he left the ferry. Police said an MSP trooper from the Bourne Barracks located and stopped the vehicle on Route 28 northbound in Falmouth.

The suspect was riding in a KAM Appliances delivery truck. The company told Boston 25 News DeJesus works for an outside company that contracts with them. A spokesperson went on to say:

“KAM has had a relationship with this company for over five years and we have always had positive experiences with their workers. Everyone here at KAM is shocked and appalled by the actions of this individual.”

The district attorney does not believe DeJesus and the alleged victim had a prior relationship.

“It’s shocking to hear that something like that could take place because it’s pretty quiet and they have a lot of personnel around, and it’s just outrageous,” said Ken Huber, who rode the ferry Tuesday. “It’s the last place in Massachusetts you would expect something like that to happen, it’s just disgusting.”

DeJesus is now facing charges for two counts of rape, booked at the Bourne Barracks, and is being held on $250,000 cash bail. He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday, June 8, at Falmouth District Court.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW