HANOVER — An early-morning fire destroyed a commercial building on Columbia Road in Hanover Wednesday.
Hanover Fire Chief Jeffrey Blanchard said they received a 911 call around 2 a.m. from someone who saw smoke coming from the back of the building. When crews arrived, there was heavy fire in the rear of the building and smoke pushing through windows on all three floors.
Blanchard said the fire alarm inside the building did not work.
Mutual aid from several cities and towns helped Hanover firefighters battle the fire, including Abington, Duxbury, Hanson, Hingham, Marshfield and Rockland.
Blanchard said crews initially had some trouble with fire hydrants near the scene. The building was so engulfed in flames, they could not enter the building, and had to fight the fire from outside the building.
Much of the building had collapsed by 4 a.m. Blanchard said the building was vacant, and no one was hurt in the fire.
Blanchard said Conway Realty owns the commercial building. It’s unclear if they have an office space inside or if they just lease the units.
Hanover police, Hanover fire and the State Fire Marshal’s Office are investigating what sparked the fire. They are also looking into why the fire alarm failed.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for alerts on breaking news stories like this one.