BOSTON — Marathon Monday is here and several roads in Massachusetts will be closed to traffic along the marathon route.
This year’s 127th running of the Boston Marathon will draw the world’s top athletes and thousands of spectators from around the world who will cheer on the competitors as they show strength, determination, and grit while completing in the 26.2-mile race.
The Boston Marathon runs through eight cities and towns. Here are the road closures in each town:
Roads immediately surrounding the start line and town common (Main St., Ash St., Park St, and Hayden Rowe) will close at 6:30 am, followed by all other roads leading into the downtown area will be closed for general travel as of 7:00 a.m.
The major roads leading into the downtown area will be blocked at the following locations:
- West Main Street at Lumber Street.
- Wood Street at Elm Street
- Hayden Rowe Street at Chestnut
- Ash Street at Blueberry Lane
- Cedar Street at Legacy Farms North
- East Main Street at every intersection
In addition to these locations, all roadways that are adjacent to the roads where runners, spectators, volunteers, and workers are located will be blocked.
- Route 135 in Ashland will close at approximately 7:15 am to all eastbound and westbound traffic
- Cross-traffic will be allowed until approximately 8:15 am
- Roads will reopen at approximately 2:00 pm
- Route 135, Waverly Street in Framingham will be closed from 8:15 A.M. to approximately 2 P.M.
- Parking on Route 135 and adjacent streets will be prohibited from 12 a.m., on Monday, April 17 till later that day at 2 p.m.
Vehicles parked in the no-parking zones will be ticketed and towed.
Roads in Wellesley will close around 8:30 a.m. and remain closed until at least 3:30 p.m.
The Marathon route divides Wellesley in half. The race enters Wellesley on Central Street (Rt. 135) at the Natick line near Wellesley College. The race route proceeds east on Central Street through Wellesley Square and then continues on Washington Street (Rt. 16) eastbound through Wellesley Hills and into the Lower Falls.
The race exits Wellesley on Washington Street at the Newton line.
The only way to cross over the route with a car is to use Route 9 (Worcester Street) underneath Route 16 (Washington Street).
Please note the following specific closures:
- Central Street will be closed from the Natick line to Grove Street.
- Washington Street will be closed from Grove Street to the Newton line.
- There will be no traffic allowed across the race route once the road is closed. Vehicles parked in parking lots along the route will not be allowed to leave until the roads have re-opened.
Additional temporary No Parking zones include:
- Curve Street on the west side from Linden Street to Crest Road
- Crest Road on the west side from Linden Street to Curve Street
- Howe Street on the south side from Weston Road to Curve Street
- Weston Road on the east side from Linden Street to Turner Road
- Central Street from Weston Road to Grove Street
- Linden Street from Weston Road to Crest Road on both sides of the road
- Wellesley Ave from Washington Street to Atwood Street
- Woodlawn Road, near the DPW entrance
- Garden Road one side to Colburn Road
- Colburn Road one side
- Chestnut Street one side
- Washington Street on both sides from Grove Street to the Newton line
- River Street
- Wareland Road
- Brook Street from Wellesley Avenue to Amherst Road
- Washington St from the Wellesley line to Auburn St.
- Commonwealth Ave from Auburn St to the Boston Line.
- Commonwealth Ave Carriage Lane from Washington St to Boston Line.
- All feeder Streets along the Race Route will be closed 60 ft back from the Route.
- Concord St from Hagar St to Washington St.
- Quinobequin Rd from I 95 South bound on ramp to Washington St.
- Beacon St from White Oaks Rd to Washington St.
- Woodland Rd from Cheswick Rd to Washington St.
- Fuller St from Day St to Chestnut St (Resident Access Only).
- Chestnut St from Beacon St to Commonwealth Ave (Resident Access Only)
- Chestnut St from Highland St to Commonwealth Ave (Resident Access Only)
- Lowell Ave from Hull St to Commonwealth Ave (Resident Access Only)
- Homer St from Walnut St to Commonwealth Ave (Resident Access Only)
- Walnut St from Homer St to Commonwealth Ave.
- Walnut St from Mill St to Commonwealth Ave. (Resident Access Only)
- Centre St from Homer St to Commonwealth Ave.
- Centre St from Ward St to Commonwealth Ave.
- Grant Ave from Beacon St to Commonwealth Ave (Resident Access Only)
- Grant Ave from Ward St to Commonwealth Ave. (Resident Access Only)
- Ward St from Hammond St to Manet Rd (Resident Access Only)
- Hammond St from Ward St to Commonwealth Ave.
- Old Colony Rd from Priscilla Rd to Commonwealth Ave.
- College Rd from Beacon St. to Commonwealth Ave.
- Pedestrian Crossovers
- Tappan St
- Webster St
- Hawes St
- Closed Roads
- Beacon Street
- Chestnut Hill Ave at Clinton Rd & Dean Rd
- Washington St at Park St
- Harvard St at Longwood Ave & Sewall Ave
- Saint Paul St at Longwood Ave & Sewall Ae
- Sewall Ave At Marshall St
- Arlington Street, Beacon Street to Stuart Street
- Arlington Street, Columbus Avenue to Isabella Street
- Beacon Street, Brighton from Chestnut Hill Avenue to Brookline Town Line
- Beacon Street, Back Bay from Charles Street to Arlington Street
- Berkeley Street, Columbus Avenue to Commonwealth Avenue, unless otherwise posted
- Belvidere Street, Huntington Avenue to Massachusetts Avenue
- Blagden Street, Huntington Avenue to Exeter Street, unless otherwise posted
- Boylston Street, from Massachusetts Avenue to Dalton Street
- Charles Street, from Boylston Street to Beacon Street
- Charles Street South, from Park Plaza to Boylston Street
- Chestnut Hill Avenue, from Commonwealth Avenue to Beacon Street
- Clarendon Street, from Commonwealth Avenue to Columbus Avenue, unless otherwise posted
- Cleveland Circle, (Parking area adjacent to Cassidy Playground & parking area adjacent to Sutherland Road) from Beacon Street to Chestnut Hill Avenue, 24 hours
- Columbus Avenue, from Arlington Street to Dartmouth Street
- Commonwealth Avenue, from Charlesgate West to Deerfield Street (outbound)
- Commonwealth Avenue, from Beacon Street (Kenmore Square) to 80 feet east of Hereford Street.
- Commonwealth Avenue, from Lake Street to Chestnut Hill Avenue (inbound)
- Congress Street, from State Street to Hanover Street
- Dalton Street, from Boylston Street to Clearway Street
- Dartmouth Street, from Newbury Street to Commonwealth Avenue and Saint James Avenue to Columbus Avenue
- Deerfield Street, from Commonwealth Avenue to Bay State Road
- East Dedham, Street from Harrison Avenue to Albany Street
- Exeter Street, from Commonwealth Avenue to Newbury Street
- Fairfield Street, from Boylston Street to Commonwealth Avenue
- Gloucester Street, from Commonwealth Avenue to Boylston Street
- Hereford Street, from Commonwealth Avenue to Boylston Street
- Hanover Street, (both sides) from Congress Street to Commercial Street
- Huntington Avenue, from Blagden Street to Massachusetts Avenue
- Kenmore Street, from Newbury Street to Beacon Street
- Nassau Street, (both sides) from Washington Street to Harrison Avenue
- New Chardon Street, from Merrimac Street to Cambridge Street
- Newbury Street, from Arlington Street to Brookline Avenue
- Plympton Street, from Harrison Avenue to Albany Street
- Providence Street, from Arlington Street to Berkeley Street
- Raleigh Street, from Bay State Road to Beacon Street
- State Street, (both sides) from Congress Street to Washington Street
- Stanhope Street, from Berkeley Street to Clarendon Street
- Scotia Street, from Dalton Street to St. Cecilia Street
- St. Cecilia Street, from Belvidere Street to Boylston Street
- Tremont Street, (both sides) from Cambridge Street/Beacon Street to Stuart Street
- Washington Street, Both sides, from Oak Street to Nassau Street. East side (even side), from Nassau Street to Kneeland Street
- Washington Street, (both sides) from Winter Street to State Street
- Winter Street, (both sides) from Tremont Street to Washington Street
The MBTA Red, Orange, Blue, and Silver Lines will operate a regular weekday schedule with additional service before and after the race. Riders are asked to allow for additional travel time and expect some delays in service.
The MBTA Commuter Rail will be offering a special $15 Marathon Pass valid for all-day, for unlimited travel on all Commuter Rail lines through all zones.
Copley Station will be closed all day on April 17. Customers are encouraged to use other green line stations. From approximately 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., above-ground Green Line stops at South Street (B branch), Kent Street (C branch), and St. Mary’s Street (C branch) will be closed.
Bicycles will be prohibited onboard all MBTA subway vehicles (including folding bicycles) for the entire day.
Due to high demand, customers who plan on parking in an MBTA garage or lot on Marathon Monday should allow for extra time and know that some lots and garages fill up quickly.
For more information on the MBTA schedule during the marathon, and the best route for viewing the race, visit the link here.
For more on the 2023 Boston Marathon course, click here.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
©2023 Cox Media Group