Man flown to hospital, bomb squad responds after explosion at Kingston home, state police say

KINGSTON, Mass. — Investigators suspect a man was making homemade explosives or fireworks when he was seriously injured and flown to a Boston hospital from a Kingston home on Sunday afternoon, police said.

The explosion inside the Nobadeer Circle home shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday drew a response from the Massachusetts State Police Bomb Squad and FBI investigators, a hazmat crew, as well as local police and fire investigators, state and local police said.

The man’s condition or the extent of his injuries were not immediately available on Sunday.

The large emergency response to the home resulted from “the type/amount of materials present” found inside the home “and additional materials/powders consistent with bomb-making,” Kingston Police Detective Lt. Michael Skowyra said in a statement.

“The materials were collected and rendered safe. There is no public safety risk at this time and the investigation remains ongoing,” said Skowyra, who did not provide further details on the materials at the scene.

Shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday, emergency crews responded to Nobadeer Circle for a report of a person with significant injuries from an explosion, Skowyra said.

When crews arrived, they found and treated an adult man “with significant traumatic injuries consistent with an explosion,” Skowyra said.

Some windows were shattered at the home on Sunday afternoon.

Neighbors were stunned to learn about the explosion, and the man’s injuries.

“I feel bad for him if, long term, he is not able to work,” said neighbor Glen Duffy.

Duffy, who has lived in the neighborhood since the houses there were built, said Sunday’s incident “is a little bit surprising.”

“The first thing you think is... what is the reason for making them?” Duffy asked about the alleged explosives found inside the home.

What happened on Sunday is not a typical occurrence in the neighborhood, Duffy said.

“It is a quiet neighborhood. I mean, Kingston in general is a quiet town,” he said.

The Massachusetts State Police Fire Investigative Unit and Crime Scene Services Section also responded to the home, a state police spokesman said.

An investigation into the incident is ongoing, police said.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW

Comments on this article