NOTE: Boston 25 News is compiling the current list of upcoming 9/11 memorial events in Massachusetts. To bring an event to our attention for inclusion in this list, please click here.
The 20th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks is approaching, with Saturday marking two decades since the terrorist attacks killed nearly 3,000 people across multiple parts of the east coast of the United States.
In Massachusetts, numerous communities and organizations will be holding commemorative events to honor those who died in the attacks. Below is a list of those events that are set to be held across the commonwealth:
- Acton: Remembrance ceremony to be held at the Public Safety Facility at 10 a.m. on Sept. 11 by the Acton Police Department.
- Berkley: Berkley Fire’s 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony will be held on the town common on 5 North Main St. at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 11.
- Burlington: A new 9/11 memorial is set to be unveiled at the Town Common at 9 a.m. on Sept. 11.
- Canton: The town will be holding a multi-day tribute that includes a vigil on Friday, Sept. 10 at the veteran’s cemetery, a ceremony at Paul Revere Heritage Park at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11, as well as a bloodmobile held Sunday, Sept. 12 hosted by the town’s police department.
- Cohasset: The town’s police and fire departments will be holding a remembrance on the town common at 8:45 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11.
- Dartmouth: The Dartmouth Veterans Advisory Board and the town’s police department will host a ceremony honoring the victims of the attacks at 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 11 at Dartmouth Memorial Stadium.
- Dighton: A ceremony will be hosted by the town’s fire department at the Firefighter Memorial at Station 2 on 132 Chase St. in North Dighton.
- Easton: The 9/11 ceremony will be held at Easton Fire Station 1 at 48 Lothrop St. at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 11.
- East Bridgewater: The town will be hosting an event at 8:45 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11 at the 9/11 Memorial located next to the town hall on 175 Central St.
- Essex: The town’s police and fire departments will hold a 9/11 Memorial Service on Saturday, Sept. 11 at 9:55 a.m. in front of the new Essex Public Safety Building at 11 John Wise Ave.
- Georgetown: The ceremony held by the town’s police and fire departments will be held at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11 at the town’s Public Safety Building at 47 Central St.
- Hopkinton: The town’s event will be held at “The Gazebo” at 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 11.
- Manchester-by-the-Sea: The town’s fire department will hold an event at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11 at the town’s fire station at 12 School St.
- Milford: Milford Police will host a flag-hoisting presentation at the Town Hall.
- Newburyport: The Exchange Club of Greater Newburyport will host its Field of Honor at the Bartlett Mall off Pond Street where more than 300 U.S. flags will be displayed. That event will run from Wednesday, Sept. 8 through Monday, Sept. 13. Additionally, the town’s fire department will hold a service on Saturday, Sept. 11 at 8:30 a.m. at the same location.
- Plymouth: The Plymouth Fire Department will march to the 9/11 Memorial on 1 South Spooner St. and plan to arrive at 9:45 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11.
- Springfield: The Springfield Police Department will hold a ceremony at Springfield’s Riverfront Park in front of the 9/11 Monument on 1260 W. Columbus Ave. on Friday, Sept. 10 at 6 p.m.
©2021 Cox Media Group