BOSTON — The defense in Aaron Hernandez's double murder trial rested Wednesday, after a day that began by filing a motion to dismiss the trial.
#BREAKING. The defense has rested in the #AaronHernandez trial. #FOX25— Adam Liberatore (@bostonTVguy) April 5, 2017
Closing arguments will begin Thursday morning in the trial.
Wednesday morning started with the defense citing 'perjured testimony' from Alexander Bradley, Hernandez's former friend who was with him on the night of the shooting. The judge dismissed the claim and said that Bradley's testimony was not perjurious when taken in context.
>> Scroll down for live tweets from the courtroom
The first witness called by the defense Wednesday was Jake Green, a computer forensics expert. Green examined the laptop of Brooke Wilcox, the mother of Bradley's daughter. Wilcox and Bradley previously testified that Hernandez searched her laptop for news about several shootings, including the Boston double murder.
Text messages from Bradley were then shown to the jury. The text messages, previously deleted from Bradley's phone, were sent to Bradley's lawyer.
"Now u sure once I withdraw this lawsuit that won't be held on perjury after I tell the court the truth about me not recalling anything about who shot me," one of the messages read.
Defense done w/Green. Why did they call him? Maybe to get this on the screen again? Bradleys text to his lawyer pic.twitter.com/RfN1TWfvzY— Ted Daniel (@tvnewzted) April 5, 2017
Autopsy expert Dr. Jamie Downs testified next, telling the court that the State Medical Examiner was wrong when she noted that Safiro Furtado's arm was down when he was shot. Dr. Downs said Furtado's arm was up at the time.
Dr. Downs also said Furtado would have been looking towards the gun that shot him. "He has to be positioned lunging to his right," Dr. Downs said.
The defense then used an assistant to demonstrate Furtado's position in the car when he was shot. Dr. Downs said Furtado's arm "had to be going up" at the time the bullet entered.
Closing arguments begin Thursday morning and jury deliberations will follow.
Hernandez has been charged in the June 2012 shooting deaths of two men outside of a nightclub in the South End.
Prosecutors say Hernandez felt disrespected when one of the men bumped into him, spilling his drink.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty.
Hernandez already is serving a life sentence without parole in the 2013 killing of a man who was dating his fiancee's sister.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Monday, March 6: " Defense in Hernandez double murder trial claims new evidence"
Friday, March 10: "Defense calls for mistrial in Aaron Hernandez double murder trial"
Monday, March 13: "Impending nor'easter forces brief delay in Hernandez trial"
NO COURT TUESDAY, MARCH 14
Friday, March 17: "Jury hears from tattoo artist, sees photos from Hernandez's phone"
NO COURT FRIDAY, MARCH 24
LIVE UPDATES FROM THE COURTROOM:
Cox Media Group