WALPOLE, Mass. - Firefighters in Walpole spent the day at a fire at a three-story building.
The fire broke out just before noon on Wednesday at 942 East Street, on the corner of Main Street.
@WFDLocal2464 is operating on the corner of East St and Main St at a structure fire. Please avoid the area until further notice— Walpole Police Dept (@WalpolePolice) January 9, 2019
The building is a few hundred yards away from the town's new main fire station. It houses "Walpole Music" on the first floor.
Katlyn Thibodeau lost pretty much everything when her apartment caught fire. A few boxes were salvaged but one thing that was not saved was a memory box from her baby girl, who was stillborn.
"It's like a memory box they give you when you have a stillborn and it's got a piece of their hair and footprints in it and it's probably the only thing that is not replaceable. I'm hoping it's somewhere in there," she said.
#BREAKING: Fire on East Street in #Walpole in the downtown business area.— Peter Wilson (@PetesWire) January 9, 2019
This building is a few hundred yard's from the town's new main fire station.
Building houses "Walpole Music" on the first floor.@boston25 pic.twitter.com/ctwFJZBIFZ
Thibodeau was at work at the time and three other residents were not home.
Witnesses tell Boston 25 News workers from Farmer in the Dell, the restaurant across the street, ran over to the building once they noticed the flames and began knocking on doors trying to alert people who could have been inside.
#BREAKING: As I mentioned, this fire is VERY CLOSE to #Walpole's new fire station (red building).— Peter Wilson (@PetesWire) January 9, 2019
In this picture, you can see the station and a firefighter RUNNING to the fire on East Street from that station. @boston25 pic.twitter.com/eYytL6SF1q
NEW: Ground picture from the fire on East Street in Walpole.— Peter Wilson (@PetesWire) January 9, 2019
I am told workers at the Farmer in the Dell restaurant across the street ran over to bang on doors to alert people inside about the flames.@boston25 @javlacich pic.twitter.com/0fPUqqSLLD
Firefighters had two concerns because of the high winds that wires possibly catching fire and trying to keep the flames from spreading to the adjacent building.
The fire is still under investigation.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.