Two motorcyclists released from hospital after being struck by hit-&-run driver

SHARON, Mass. — Two motorcyclists were struck by a hit-and-run driver Thursday night in Sharon on I-95 North. Both people survived the crash and have been released from the hospital.

The incident happened around 10:30 p.m. on Thursday night between exits eight and nine, not too far from Gillette Stadium.

A car traveling in the left lane on I-95 North swerved, striking the motorcycle that carried a man and a woman, according to a video captured by a nearby witness. Those victims were identified as Amy Kosmin and Jerry McCormick.

That witness to the crash not only brought the recording of the scene to State Police in Foxborough to help the investigation, but he also put his life at risk to save the lives of the two bikers.

Corey Dale was a passenger in the car that recorded the crash.

"Out of nowhere the car pulled up next to us, was swerving a little bit and all of a sudden took a hard right, right into the back of the motorcycle," he said.

"First thing I thought was, 'Oh my god, I hope nobody runs them over.' There were a lot of sparks, it was pretty scary."

Related: Cleanup underway in area where corrections officer was assaulted; 18 arrested

After the crash, Dale grabbed a high-powered flashlight to slow down traffic and got both motorcyclists out of the highway to safety on the side of the road.

"Mostly they were both in shock," Dale said. "They dumped the motorcycle over at 70 miles-an-hour; that’s pretty shocking.

"We immediately pulled over, I jumped out of the door and ran down the breakdown lane with a flashlight to stop traffic to get them out of the road and get them over the side and dialed 911."

Boston 25 News asked longtime motorcycle advocate and activist Paul Cote to look at Dale’s video and offer his input in a phone interview. Cote is a friend of the couple and visited them on Saturday.

"They bounced off the pavement, a little swollen, lots of road rash, skin coming off, [but] they're going to be alright," he said.

"It's amazing it wasn't their day. It was their day to live and we're thankful for it."

The two motorcyclists were sent to Boston Medical Center for treatment. McCormick was released first and then Kosmin afterward. Both were wearing helmets at the time of the crash.

The driver of the car that struck them did not stay at the scene. The case is currently under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call Mass. State Police.