BROOKLINE, Mass. - Some students at Brookline High School say they're "outraged, but not surprised," that students were captured making racial slurs on Snapchat videos.
Hundreds of those students walked out of class Thursday morning to protest the racist videos, which were made by current and former classmates.
Several young men repeatedly used a racial slur to target other students of color in the videos.
Hundreds of students now gathered outside Brookline HS. Student who organized walk out says she’s angry school didn’t make statement after 1st video surfaced last wk pic.twitter.com/nlzFhIa79t— Jessica Reyes (@jessicamreyes) November 30, 2017
"No one should be able to get away with this kind of behavior," student Griffy Estima said.
Around 2 p.m., a second walkout happened at the high school.
The school district said it learned about one of the videos last week, and disciplined the students involved.
But after the second video surfaced Wednesday, the school district said it has launched another investigation, with more consequences possible.
Students and parents Boston 25 News spoke with said they're angry and upset, but not entirely surprised.
"They need to do better," Natasha Browne said. "They need to have conversations. They need to explain to kids what's OK and what's not OK."
"Things like this happen all the time," Shaniyah Clouden said. "Finally, something needs to be done."
Several students Boston 25 News spoke with said they planned to walk out of the high school Thursday afternoon to show their anger and solidarity over the incidents, but that walk out occurred after 9 a.m.
“There’s no use for that word ever. I’m an African-American student and I would never use that word,” Estima said.
At least one of the students featured in the video is a graduate of Brookline High School. Boston 25 News reached out to Brookline police to see if officers were investigating but did not receive a response.
The school said it would bring in "community support" on Thursday.
Here's the full statement from the school district:
We write to make you aware of two deeply disturbing videos recently made by former and current Brookline High School students. On Wednesday of last week, the first racist video was brought to the attention of members of the BHS faculty and administration. Today, BHS learned of a second video created by a different student that uses the same racist language. We want to make clear that on both a personal and professional level, we are disgusted and deeply disturbed that any member of the BHS community would make such vile, hate-filled videos.
While it is hard to fathom the intent of such videos; their impact is clear and concerning. They degrade, dehumanize, and diminish our community. More importantly, they make many students feel unsafe and unsure of their standing in the BHS community. We want to be clear these types of videos and behavior are unacceptable and have no place in our community.
As soon as the high school became aware of the first video, the BHS administration immediately launched an investigation and provided support for the student targeted in the video. This initial investigation has been completed, the individuals involved identified, and BHS is following through with appropriate disciplinary consequences. The team at BHS has now begun an investigation into the second video and will follow through with appropriate consequences upon completion of this investigation. We are engaged in the work required to support the students who were personally targeted.
Our team at BHS is currently planning community supports to put in place for students tomorrow. Through these steps, we will ensure opportunities for students to share their perspectives on the incidents, our response to the videos, and our ongoing work to strengthen the BHS school culture. We believe that our students as learners and leaders will help us become the school community everyone deserves. Sincerely,
Anthony Meyer, Headmaster
Andrew Bott, superintendent
© 2019 Cox Media Group.