• 4 Cape Wildlife Center interns taken to hospital after feeling sick

    By: Mike Saccone

    Updated:

    BARNSTABLE, Mass. - Four student interns at the Cape Wildlife Center in Barnstable were rushed to the hospital Thursday evening, said Katrina Bergman, CEO of the New England Wildlife Center.

    The four interns, ages 21 and 22, live in apartment together at the wildlife center on Main Street. 

    Bergman told Boston 25 News the interns ate an unknown food item, became ill and called 911 because they were nervous. 

    The interns, who care for animals, were taken to Cape Cod Hospital to be evaluated. 

    Bergman said no animals were hurt and the building is safe.

    The interns are students from universities across the country.

    Bergman, as well as Cape Wildlife Center Executive Director Zak Mertz, were on their way to the hospital to check on the students, contact their parents and assess the food item in question. 

    The New England Wildlife Center recently acquired the Cape Wildlife Center. 

    Barnstable Police said they assisted Barnstable Fire. Boston 25 News has reached out to Barnstable Fire for information. 

    This is a developing story. Stay with Boston 25 News for updates.

    Next Up: