Two officers, suspect shot in Falmouth; third officer also injured

EAST FALMOUTH, Mass. - Two Falmouth Police officers and one suspect were shot in East Falmouth on Friday afternoon.

Cape and Islands DA Michael O'Keefe says both Falmouth officers, identified as Officer Donald DeMiranda and Officer Ryan Moore are expected to survive.

According DA O'Keefe, the two officers responded to a disturbance call for a man breaking bottles on Seacoast Shores Boulevard on Friday afternoon.

As the officers followed the suspect, authorities say the suspect's mother and another man tried to keep the officers back.

As they so, the suspect ran inside his Ashley Drive home, armed himself with a gun and started shooting at the officers from inside the house.

One of the bullets fired grazed Officer Moore's neck, while Officer DeMiranda was shot once in the chest and once in the shoulder.

"I think I've been shot," audio from a Broadcastify call said. "Start rescue."

Officer DeMiranda's ballistic vest sustained the impact of the bullet that hit him in the chest, but both he and Officer Moore had to be transported to the hospital for treatment of their injuries.

Officer Moore was treated and released from the hospital Friday night, while Officer DeMiranda was transferred to a Boston Hospital on Saturday. He is scheduled for surgery Monday afternoon to have a bullet removed,  Falmouth Police Chief Ed Dunne said.

"He’s thankful for the outcome, his family is thankful as we are the Falmouth Police Dept. and many officers and chiefs that have contacted us because of what has happened in the last several months," said Falmouth Police Chief Ed Dunne. "It could have been tragically different, but it isn’t and we are happy for that.”

A third officer was injured during the altercation after he fell while trying to jump over a fence.

MORE: Community shows support for Falmouth Police after two officers were shot

Sources say the suspect, identified as 21-year-old Malik Antonio Koval, was shot multiple times.

Both Officers DeMiranda and Moore as well as Koval were flown to a local hospital, State Police say.

Authorities said Koval's mother, Kimberly, and another man, identified as Marcus Maseda, were also arrested in connection to the shooting.

Malik Koval first went to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Plymouth, before being flown to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston by medical helicopter. Troopers guarded the suspect while in the Plymouth hospital, and did the same in the Boston hospital.

It is still unclear as to when Koval, who is still hospitalized in Boston, will be arraigned.

The DA has not yet released which charges he will be facing, but his mother and Maseda are being charged with obstruction of justice and assault and battery on a police officer.

Chief Dunne provided an update late Friday night, saying that these police-involved shootings have to stop.


Authorities give update after two officers, suspect shot in Falmouth

Posted by Boston 25 News on Friday, July 27, 2018

"This happening way too much," Dunne said. "We've got to return back to a time where police officers are respected. It's not okay to shoot a police officer."

Governor Charlie Baker's spokesperson, Elizabeth Guyton, gave a statement following the shooting, saying Baker was "saddened' after the shooting.

The full statement read:

"Governor Baker is saddened to learn of tonight's senseless shooting in Falmouth that has left two police officers injured and is praying for their swift recoveries. The Baker-Polito Administration believes the brave men and women who risk their lives every day to protect and serve our communities deserve our deepest respect."

Comments on this article