• Two men arrested after teen was allegedly robbed while trying to sell phone


    Two suspects were arrested after a teenager was robbed at gunpoint while trying to sell an iPhone in Hyannis, according to Barnstable Police.

    Police said they responded to a report of an armed robbery on West Main Street in Hyannis around 7:15 p.m. Wednesday night.

    According to police, a 15-year-old boy was robbed at gunpoint while trying to sell an iPhone, after he had previously put the phone on a popular app and made arrangements to meet the buyer. 

    What was intended to be a simple sale finalized through Snapchat turned into a showdown outside of a complex on West Main Street.

    "I hear like two shots, I just think it was fireworks," Inez Gidiovanni said. "I hear that, I didn't open the door."

    The 15-year-old who lives with his father told Boston 25 News he was duped while trying to sell his iPhone for $450, with the revelation made just seconds after walking out his door into the driveways with hopes of handing over the phone and collecting the cash.

    A Barnstable Police report said the boy's father "saw his son fall to ground while shouting 'gun.'"

    His father, who reportedly has his license to carry and had his registered gun in reach, "pulled out the firearm while discharging one round into the air as a warning shot."

    "You got to protect yourself," Centerville resident Seth Hazard said. "That’s the world we live in. If you got a license to carry and you're presented with that situation, I think by all means, that’s your right."

    The 15-year-old fled the scene and didn't give up the phone, and he was able to give police a description of the buyer and the vehicle, which had four people inside.

    Barnstable Police officers later stopped a vehicle matching the description near the Yarmouth town line, and two main suspects, 20-year-old Harwich native Terron Jackson and 20-year-old Dereck Gonsalves, were identified.

    Officers recovered a gun in the car that matched the description of the one used in the robbery, and the two suspects were arrested.

    >>RELATED: Woman charged after leading police on low-speed pursuit in Abington

    The foiled robbery that turned into a police call is a cautionary tale in the dangers of arranging sales with strangers.

    "You're expecting them to buy your phone," Hazard said. "You're not expecting to get robbed. It's good his dad was there."

    Police say if you're selling or buying items through apps or online sites, it's always a good idea to meet in public parking lots or lobbies at local police stations, as opposed to meeting at a private residence.

    Jackson was booked on charges of attempting to commit a crime (armed robbery), unlawful possession of a firearm and assault by firearm.

    Meanwhile, Gonsalves was booked on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition and accessory after the fact.

    Both made bail pending an appearance in Barnstable District Court Thursday, and the investigation into the unidentified suspects is ongoing.

    Next Up: