MEDFORD, Mass. — A million-dollar home in Medford owned by the son of Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren was destroyed by a raging blaze Tuesday morning.
Crews responding to a report of a fire at 44 Terrace Road around 1 a.m. found flames shooting from a vacant home that has been undergoing major renovations for about a year, according to the Medford Fire Department.
Firefighters from multiple communities struggled to battle the fire because the home is perched on a hill in a densely packed neighborhood.
Property records show the home was purchased by Alexander Warren for $1.35 million in April 2021.
In a statement, Sen. Warren said, “I deeply appreciate the efforts of the firefighters who worked through the night to put out a fire at our son’s house. I am grateful that everyone is safe and request privacy for our family.”
Video from the scene showed crews working to extinguish the fire for more than five hours. Thick black smoke could be seen for miles.
BREAKING: Crews continue fighting fire on Terrace Road in #Medford. A neighbor sent us this video of the flames earlier this AM.— Julianne Lima (@JulianneLimaTV) March 21, 2023
Fire chief says since the house is on a hill, they have had water pressure issues and trouble getting engines up here @boston25 pic.twitter.com/SWKoJ28LEs
The flames were out by sunrise, but Medford Fire Chief John Freedman said his department had water pressure issues and difficulty getting engines up the hill.
“Up here on the hill, every foot of elevation you draw pressure losses,” Freedman explained. “They’re flowing a lot of water and that puts strain on the systems.”
A Boston 25 photographer spotted Warren leaving the scene in an SUV just before 9 a.m. A state police K9 team was also seen sniffing around the burned-out home.
MORE: @MassStatePolice K9s at scene of fire at @SenWarren’s son’s home in Medford.— Julianne Lima (@JulianneLimaTV) March 21, 2023
My photographer and I saw the senator leaving the scene just before 9 AM.
FULL STORY ⬇️
The heavily charred structure now appears to be a total loss. Neighbors say the family was planning to move in before Easter.
There were no reported injuries to firefighters.
The exact cause of the fire is under investigation, but the State Fire Marshal’s Office says it is not considered suspicious and it appears the blaze began in the interior of the first floor at the back of the house.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW
©2023 Cox Media Group