3 Dorchester students sent to hospital after ingesting cannabis chocolate, school officials say

BOSTON — Three middle school students in Dorchester were sent to the hospital after ingesting what appeared to be a cannabis-infused chocolate edible, school officials said Tuesday.

Emergency responders went to the Dr. William W. Henderson K-12 Inclusion School at 18 Croftland Ave shortly after 10:30 a.m., police said.

School staff immediately notified police and the families of the students, who were seen by a school nurse and then taken to the hospital for further medical care, Interim Head of School Stephanie Sibley said in a letter to the school community on Tuesday.

An investigation into the incident is ongoing, said Sibley, adding that drugs and paraphernalia are prohibited on school grounds by any student, employee, or family member.

The ages and conditions of the students were not immediately known.

School staff will conduct searches as outlined in the district’s student search policy if necessary, Sibley said. Students who bring or distribute any illegal substances will face disciplinary action in accordance with the BPS Code of Conduct.

“The health and well-being of all students and staff are our top priorities at Henderson School and all Boston Public Schools,” Sibley said in a letter to student families. “As caring parents and guardians, you play a crucial role in helping influence your student’s decisions around substance abuse. We encourage you to have conversations with your students about its impacts.”

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW

Comments on this article