2 workers hospitalized after suspected carbon monoxide, refrigerant leaks at Waltham gas station

WALTHAM, Mass. — Two workers were rushed to the hospital after suspected carbon monoxide and refrigerant leaks at a gas station in Waltham on Friday morning, officials said.

Emergency crews responding to a medical call at the Speedway on Prospect Street just after 6 a.m. found the workers suffering from an oxygen deficiency, according to the Waltham Fire Department.

Both workers were taken to Newton-Wellesley Hospital. They have since been treated and released.

Video from the scene showed multiple fire trucks and ambulances outside the business and a ladder leading up to the roof.

A subsequent investigation revealed that the carbon monoxide leak was likely from soda machines. Elevated levels of refrigerant were also detected in the gas station.

Crews shut down the systems in question and ventilated the building before clearing the scene shortly before 10 a.m.

The incident remains under investigation.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW

Comments on this article