WORCESTER, Mass. - Black smoke and orange flames poured from a parking garage outside UMass Medical School in Worcester, and Boston 25 News has learned 10 vehicles were torched in the inferno that caused more than 100 people to evacuate.
Authorities said they believe it all started when a minivan caught fire on the third level, and the flames were able to jump from vehicle to vehicle in a matter of minutes.
The garage is located next to the Ambulatory Care Center at UMass Memorial, and fumes from the fire forced people inside to evacuate.
Once crews were able to get the fires under control, people who were parked in the garage waited for hours to see if they were among the ones who lost a vehicle.
“I don’t know if it’s OK,” Nicole Grady said. “I’ve seen a bunch of cars being towed out, and so far it hasn’t been on any wreckers.”
The president of UMass Memorial told Boston 25 News the garage will be open Thursday.
It’s still unclear why the minivan caught fire, but officials said they don’t believe it’s suspicious.
Officials will be back at the garage Thursday to continue investigating.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.