Electric dryer started fire in Millville that injured one firefighter

Electric dryer started fire in Millville that injured one firefighter

MILLVILLE, Mass. — Fire officials said an electric dryer started a fire that brunt through a Millville home.

At around 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, a passerby noticed smoke coming from a home in the area of 100 Thayer Street. Crews had to block off the roads and drivers were asked to seek alternate routes.

Sky 25 flew over the scene where thick, dense smoke could be seen coming from the caved roof of the house. Flames could be seen inside certain spots in the house.

Content Continues Below

An electric dryer that had been left running unattended is what started the fire. One firefighter suffered a minor injury while responding to the scene.

“The house is a total loss and this fire is, of course, a difficult event for the family who is displaced," said Millville Fire Chief Ronald Landry. "I would like to remind residents not to leave heavy appliances such as washers, dryers, dishwashers or space heaters running when they leave the house. Shut them off to prevent fires.”

Additional water tankers had to be called in from nearby towns to assist with the response.

“It is important to clean the lint filter after every load, wash the lint screen a few times a year and to vacuum the vent pipe and around the motor from time to time," said State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey. "When accumulated lint clogs the vent, the dryer can overheat and a fire can result.”

In 2018, 62 dryer fires injured four people, two firefighters and caused over $500,000 in damages.