BOSTON — 25 Investigates continues to monitor the coronavirus outbreak at the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home that has claimed dozens of lives.
As of Thursday, the number of veteran resident deaths stood at 68 since the crisis began in March:
- 57 of them were positive for COVID-19
- 90 veterans have tested positive for the virus
There are four ongoing investigations into the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home:
- The Governor hired an independent investigator, a former federal prosecutor
- The Massachusetts Inspector General has expanded its investigation, that was actually launched in January
- The U.S. Attorney’s office launched one through its civil rights division
- The Massachusetts Attorney General launched investigation April 13
On Thursday, Boston 25 News Anchor and Investigative reporter, Kerry Kavanaugh spoke one on one with Attorney General Maura Healey about what prompted her to formally investigate what happened at the nursing home for veterans. And, what she hopes will come of it.
Healey said it was the number of lives lost that motivated her to take a deeper look.
She also said her office was investigating other nursing home facilities, but could not confirm which at this time.
Download the free Boston 25 News app for up-to-the-minute push alerts