Former Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts, citing the "cruelty of our elections process" and the effect it would have on his loved ones, has announced that he will not run for president.
Patrick, in a statement Thursday, said: "After a lot of conversation, reflection and prayer, I've decided that a 2020 campaign for president is not for me."
Patrick's statement had been expected. Several sources had confirmed Wednesday that he would not run.
Patrick said the people he met as he campaigned for congressional candidates in the midterms were coming off the sidelines and engaging the political process. "I hope we keep giving them positive reasons to do so. The people I met don’t fit in a box. They are much more than some oversimplified “voter demographic,” with all the presumptions that go with that," the statement said.
The 62-year-old Patrick served two terms as governor, from 2007 to 2015, was assistant attorney general for civil rights in the Clinton administration, and since leaving the governor's office has been a managing director for Bain Capital.
He traveled across the country in support of Democratic candidates in the recent midterm elections, raising his national profile.
Patrick didn't rule out a future in politics but said in the statement that it won't be as president: "America feels more ready than usual for big answers to our big challenges. That’s an exciting moment that I hope we don’t miss. I hope to help in whatever way I can. It just won’t be as a candidate for president."
© 2019 Cox Media Group.