Massachusetts families demand past cases of ‘police brutality’ be reopened

BOSTON — Nine Massachusetts families whose loved ones have been killed by police are calling on Governor Charlie Baker to reopen the cases.

The families and their supporters marched from the Massachusetts State House to Boston City Hall to the South End on Wednesday night.

The demonstration, organized by the Massachusetts Action Against Police Brutality, called on Governor Baker to assign a special prosecutor to “reopen all past cases of police brutality” in the state.

“We’re here in solidarity for all these families,” said Brock Satter with Mass Action Against Police Brutality. “Maybe police just never make mistakes, that is hard to believe.”

Hope Coleman was among those who shared emotional testimony during the event.

She recalled calling 911 to get an ambulance for her son, who had paranoid schizophrenia.

Police claimed Terrance Coleman tried to attack EMTs and responding officers with a knife in a South End foyer in 2016. “The two officers burst in and knocked me and my son down,” said Hope Coleman. “All I heard was two shots. I didn’t hear him holler.”

The officers who shot and killed Terrance Coleman were cleared of any wrong-doing.

Hope Coleman and the other families who spoke out said they never had an opportunity for transparency or justice.

Wednesday’s protest was held in solidarity and support of the family of Jacob Blake, the Black man from Kenosha, Wisconsin, shot in the head by a white officer last month.