Man charged with recording boy in school locker room

Man charged with recording boy in school locker room

CHELMSFORD, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts man arrested over the weekend for allegedly video recording a teenage boy in a state of undress in the locker room during a wrestling tournament was held on $2,500 bail at his arraignment Monday.

David Menard, 54, of Waltham, was charged Saturday with possession of child pornography and videotaping or electronically surveilling a person nude or partially nude, Chelmsford police said. He pleaded not guilty.

The 15-year-old boy told police he spotted the man recording him with a cellphone as he showered inside the locker room at Chelmsford High School, and immediately told wrestling coaches, Chief James Spinney said. Several coaches held Menard until police arrived.

Content Continues Below

“He was confronted by a number of coaches on scene,” said Assistant District Attorney Rachel Pearlman. “They demanded that he show his phone to them. He was fidgeting with the phone, believing that he might be removing something video or evidence from the phone.”

It appears Menard had no ties to the wrestling tournament that involved 21 schools, Spinney said. No schools from Waltham participated. Police searched his vehicle and found other electronic devices. They have applied for a warrant to search those devices.

“He was wearing all dark clothing. Many of the children that were there initially thought that he was a janitor or someone who worked for the school,” Pearlman said.

Boston 25 News has learned that Menard is a former marine who was honorably discharged before going to work as a computer engineer.

Menard’s attorney argued for no bail, saying her client did not attempt to flee. However, bail was set at $2,500 cash.

“When the individuals approached him as he was leaving the gym and indicated they were calling police, he did not try to leave or fight them. He remained there,” said Menard’s defense attorney. “They asked to see his phone, he did pull it out.”

Boston 25 News reporter Joy Dumandan contributed to the report.