CONCORD, Mass. — Four people were taken to the hospital and 70 others were forced from their homes following a carbon monoxide leak at a senior living facility in Concord on Wednesday morning, officials said.
Firefighters responding to a fire alarm at the Deaconess Abundant Life Communities at 80 Deaconess Road around 7:30 a.m. noted that multiple carbon monoxide alarms were sounding, according to Concord Fire Chief Thomas Judge.
Air quality tests were conducted throughout the facility and elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the basement of the north building, Judge said.
Crews and facility staff immediately evacuated a total of 70 residents to another location on site. Two contractors working at the site and two residents of the facility were taken to an area hospital as a precaution.
Multiple fire crews and ambulances from surrounding communities assisted the Concord Fire Department with the evacuation effort.
Concord’s plumbing inspector is working to determine the cause of the leak.
There is not yet any timetable for when the building will be reopened to residents.
Carbon Monoxide detected in basement of Newbury Court senior living facility in #concord. Building evacuated. Two people evaluated on scene #boston25 pic.twitter.com/QMFZoH9LoO— Katie Brace (@KatieBraceNews) March 15, 2023
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW
©2023 Cox Media Group