• Biker gets burned on thigh when iPhone explodes

    By: Cox Media Group National Content Desk

    Updated:

    MANLY VALE, Australia - One biker ended up with severe burns when his iPhone exploded while it was on him.

    The Sydney Morning Herald reported that biker Gareth Clear, 36, said he fell from his bike Sunday afternoon.

    >> Read more trending stories

    When he fell, he said the iPhone in his back pocket ignited.

    "I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket … and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain," Clear said. "I just remember looking at my leg and I had this black discharge all down my leg and this smell of phosphorus​."

    Clear tweeted graphic photos of his injury Sunday, tagging Apple CEO Tim Cook, Australian media and U.K. media outlets,  in addition to Apple News Australia and U.K.

    Clear told The Daily Telegraph that he had to undergo skin graft surgery at the hospital.

    A spokesman for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission told The Sydney Morning Herald the incident is under investigation along with New South Wales Fair Trading.

    The graphic photo of Clear's injuries can be seen below.

     

    Next Up: