Weymouth shooting: Police officer fatally shot, civilian also killed

WEYMOUTH, Mass. - An on-duty officer was shot and killed in Weymouth on Sunday morning.

Authorities told Boston 25 News the officer, identified as Michael Chesna, sustained life-threatening injuries and was rushed to South Shore Hospital. He later died from his injuries.

According to police records, witnesses told police Lopes was speeding and swerving between lanes Sunday before he apparently crashed into a stationary vehicle.

Chesna responded to reports of Lopes’ driving and reportedly found Lopes as he was throwing a rock through a window in the Burton Terrace neighborhood.

The suspect then allegedly threw a rock at the officer, causing him to drop his gun. He then grabbed the officer's weapon and shot him.

A civilian was also shot and killed in the incident, which took place in the area of Torrey Street and Burton Terrace, near South Shore Hospital.


Authorities providing updates on officer-involved shooting in Weymouth.

Posted by Boston 25 News on Sunday, July 15, 2018

The Norfolk County DA said the suspect, identified as Emanuel Lopes, is in custody. Lopes will be charged with two counts of homicide, and the arraignment is scheduled for Monday.

Boston 25 News learned that the 20-year-old suspect was waiting to go to trial at Quincy District Court for charges of vandalism, possession to distribute a class B substance and resisting arrest.

Lopes was arrested at least twice last year, after he was taken into custody at a dry cleaner's on September 4 in North Weymouth, and after he was accused of selling cocaine to minors on October 2.

Boston 25 News learned police found him in an area of Weymouth known as "The Shelf," an area off of North Street allegedly known for drug activity.

>>RELATED: Weymouth officer shooting: Community shows outpouring of support

Lopes allegedly tried to flee from police and resisted arrest in the second incident.

Government officials in the area, including Governor Charlie Baker, put out tweets on Sunday, sending thoughts and prayers to those close to the victims.

Massachusetts State Police Colonel Kerry A. Gilpin released a statement after the incident, sending condolences to Chesna and his family.

The full statement read:

"On behalf of the Massachusetts State Police I offer our deepest condolences to the family of Officer Chesna, the family of the Weymouth woman who was also killed, and the Weymouth Police Department. The State Police Detective Unit for Norfolk County, the State Police Crime Scene Services Section, and the State Police Ballistics Section, and our State Police Crime Lab will work tirelessly alongside District Attorney Morrissey and the Weymouth Police Department to speak for these two victims by holding the defendant accountable for these horrific crimes."

Authorities blocked off parts of South Shore Hospital where the officer was taken to after being shot.

Cars at the scene being towed were involved in an accident before the shooting happened.

State Police assets, including crime scene services, ballistics and troopers assigned to the Norfolk County DA's office are all assisting Weymouth Police in investigating this shooting.

This shooting happened just three months and three days after Yarmouth Sgt. Sean Gannon was shot and killed in the line of duty.


Procession underway for Weymouth Police Officer Michael Chesna who was shot and killed Sunday morning.

Posted by Boston 25 News on Sunday, July 15, 2018