METHUEN, Mass. — Emergency crews in Methuen have located the source of a gas leak and have contained it, police said.
The gas has been shut off as crews will now work to repair the leak. Officials are going to remain on scene and talk to residents.
The incident happened at around 3 p.m. in the area of 135 Broadway Street and 129 Centre Street after police said a gas odor was detected.
Columbia Gas said their crews are on site and working with police and firefighters to fix the leak as soon as possible.
In a Tweet, the utility company said the gas odor was detected during a routine gas leak survey.
The road was shut down temporarily and people in the area were evacuated as a precaution. At around 4 p.m., residents were allowed back into their homes.
Residents and others were asked to stay away from the area and to seek alternate routes.
No injuries have been reported.
© 2020 Cox Media Group