QUINCY, Mass. — The Quincy High School boys basketball season has ended prematurely due to a fight in the locker room last week, according to school administrators.
Superintendent Kevin Mulvey says the decision was made in conjunction with Principal Keith Ford, Athletic Director Kevin Mahoney and Coach David Parry last Friday, February 17, following an investigation.
School officials say the altercation happened on February 13 after school in the locker room between two students, a junior and a senior. One player was still on the team while the other was a former player who quit the team in January, according to Superintendent Mulvey. Both students sustained minor injuries during the fight and are facing disciplinary consequences in addition to the season being cancelled.
Officials also say multiple members of the team knew about the fight before it happened and didn’t report it to their coach or school administrators.
“Participation in athletics is a privilege which students must earn by maintaining academic and behavioral standards,” Principal Ford said in a statement. “I know this is a disappointing end to a very challenging season for the coaching staff and players who have put in so much time and effort and I regret that this action has become necessary.”
There were 2 games remaining in the season.
A letter was sent out to parents and members of the team on Friday informing them of the school’s decision.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
©2023 Cox Media Group