Police, school officials investigating after fireworks set off at Lincoln-Sudbury football game

SUDBURY, Mass. — Police and school officials say they’re investigating after fireworks were allegedly fired off and directed at student athletes and other bystanders at Lincoln Sudbury Regional High School’s football game against Fitchburg High on Friday evening.

In a statement sent out to LS students, families and staff, Superintendent Wong says, “I am very disappointed to tell you about what happened at last night’s home football game between LS and Fitchburg. With about 9 minutes left in the game 5 to 6 fireworks were apparently launched from the wooded area between Concord Road and behind the visiting spectators’ bleachers. Parts of the fireworks sprayed or landed in the visitor bleachers, onto the field and into the air overhead. It was a shocking experience for athletes, officials and spectators alike, which included young children. Many individuals, of any age, were frightened, some were extremely so.

As well as being frightened about one’s safety it also caused some of our visitors to wonder if they were the intentional targets. I apologize on the behalf of our community to that of the Fitchburg school community that last night’s events caused any of them to feel at all that that would be a possibility. While I do not want to at all lessen the seriousness of what occurred, I do want to assure the Fitchburg community that I firmly believe that what the individual or individuals may have intended, that this was not the case. If upon investigation this proves to be otherwise, than a fuller apology will be forthcoming. At the very least I do apologize that your experience on our fields has at all caused you to feel this way,” said Superintendent Wong.

“This extremely inappropriate and dangerous situation is being taken very seriously. LS does not condone this type of behavior and finds it unacceptable,” Art Reilly, director of athletics and activities at Lincoln Sudbury Regional High School, said in a statement to Boston 25 News.

No injuries were reported, he said.

“We sincerely apologize to anyone that was adversely affected by this incident, and are thankful that no one was seriously injured,” Reilly said.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook and Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW